Newsed Cars

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I helped my son buy a 2017 Focus ST today. The car is used and has 15 miles.

How is this possible? Car was a corporate fleet purchase. Did it sit in a corporate lot for 8 months and then get sold at the auction? It was sold as Certified Pre-Owned, has an extra year of warranty (4/48). I have never seen this before. Have you guys?

Price was right and the car is basically new except for the calipers showing the car has sat for a while.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Flood car

It was in Michigan. Titled in January, 2017. Carfax was clean. Certified. 15 miles (57 now).

Maybe it was buried in a snowdrift on a corporate lot? Undercarriage looks fine. No rust.

The car listed for $30K+. We paid $22,800 plus got some extra, all weather (beach) floormats and a new spare tire cover for one that was missing. I asked for window tint but got floormats instead.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with companies buying a new car, letting it sit and selling it at auction?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Hmm. There are some bankruptcies in the news. Could be. One dealership had $700K in debt and $800 in cash assets. Ouch.

Didn't see any evidence of a repair. No overspray or bad fitting panels. Car was definitely detailed but it looks and runs like new.

I'm hoping we got a bargain rather than getting screwed.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It was in Michigan. Titled in January, 2017. Carfax was clean. Certified. 15 miles (57 now).

Maybe it was buried in a snowdrift on a corporate lot? Undercarriage looks fine. No rust.

The car listed for $30K+. We paid $22,800 plus got some extra, all weather (beach) floormats and a new spare tire cover for one that was missing. I asked for window tint but got floormats instead.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with companies buying a new car, letting it sit and selling it at auction?

For what its worth, there are/were some CRAZY incentives on ST's.

My brother in law just got a loaded ST2 (stickered at like 28) for about what you paid brand new.

I've seen/heard of some dealers 'buying' cars, taking the rebates, and then in turn bumping their new car sales numbers, and then turning around and selling them used to 'break even' (but again, buff their sales numbers which may pay off other dividends).

Some Chrysler and Mercedes dealers got into some shit for that years back, so I doubt that's the case, but just food for thought.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Good price for your brother in law. The dealership was pushing back hard and ready to let us walk so I was close to their bottom line. This car is also an ST2 with the leather/moonroof/Bose/Nav/HID packages. I'm hoping we picked up a grand or two for taking this one rather than a "new" one.

My son decided to take the $1,400 7 year bumper to bumper so I hope he's trouble free for the next 7 years. Probably should have bargained more for the warranty price.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Good price for your brother in law. The dealership was pushing back hard and ready to let us walk so I was close to their bottom line. This car is also an ST2 with the leather/moonroof/Bose/Nav/HID packages. I'm hoping we picked up a grand or two for taking this one rather than a "new" one.

My son decided to take the $1,400 7 year bumper to bumper so I hope he's trouble free for the next 7 years. Probably should have bargained more for the warranty price.

You can just cancel the extended warranty immediately and they will just put the pro-rated difference against the principle.

But on a side-note, FORD doesn't offer loaners unless you ponied up for the extended warranty.... But even that still has a deductible IIRC.....

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I will post some pics when I see the car in daylight again. Basically, it's a Race Red ST2 like this one.

Colours-Focus-ST-Race-Red.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
You can just cancel the extended warranty immediately and they will just put the pro-rated difference against the principle.

But on a side-note, FORD doesn't offer loaners unless you ponied up for the extended warranty.... But even that still has a deductible IIRC.....

My son, Eric, drives his cars hard (don't know where he got that from). He may break things by pushing (modding?, man, I hope he does. Would be cool to work with him on projects.) the car. Will he break $1400 worth of things in 7 years?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My son, Eric, drives his cars hard (don't know where he got that from). He may break things by pushing (modding?, man, I hope he does. Would be cool to work with him on projects.) the car. Will he break $1400 worth of things in 7 years?

My Brother In Law's ST has been in the dealer 3 times in the first 2 months....

Sadly they are known for having Electrical Gremlins.

They also REALLY don't like being 'lugged' from what's been explained to me (so being in 5th gear at 1000RPM, and then Flooring it is super bad for the car).

He bought a Boomba Blow-Off and a K+N filter for his, and loves the way it sounds now.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I bought my 2012 Boss 302 as a "used" car in 2013 with only 85 miles on it. The previous owner took it home and parked it in his garage for a year, then traded it in for something else.

I've also seen corporate fleets where cars sit unused for several months on end, so that's a possibility too. Usually a Carfax will show if it was a fleet vehicle though.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It was a fleet vehicle.

i was just about to ask this reading through this thread.

rental car companies buy vehicles at stupid stupid discounts, possibly it got sold to a rental agency and slipped through the cracks of a large purchase- i mean enterprze is the largest purchaser of vehicles in the world. occasionally manual or diesel vehicles pop up in their fleets.

vehicle wound up in whatever rental fleet because it was purchased for a stupid discount, and then went nowhere.

offloaded for more than they paid for it because the market for that particular vehicle came back and wambam. used car with barely any miles on it.

when i worked for the big E, we would occasionally have new vehicles come in and leave within the same week to be sold. like brought to us with plastic on the seats and shipping materials, we'd get 'em out on a rental or two, and they'd get taken back to be sold.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Focus ST seems like an odd fleet car. Rental, or corporate, why would they buy a performance optioned Focus?

Either way...nice buy!

because a rental car company will buy literally any new vehicle. they don't care.

we had a few fully optioned 5 series wagons when i was there, a few ecoboost flex's with pano roofs, rear ac seats, etc., a lot of ecoboost lincolns optioned well also.

shit, we had some escalades, denalis, etc. they don't care if the price is right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info