"Expedition" style Roof Baskets/Racks

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
images.ashx

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterio...454.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=3426&t_pn=S/B45454

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Mounting to stock rack cross bars? They are flexy and dont hold much. Thats part of the reason racks are expensive as they sometimes mount differently.

But back to the beginning, its a burb, its huge, what do you need to out on top?

Then we can figure out what works best for you.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
both of those are under $10,000,000

$500 is the price of entry, the first one needs vehicle specific brackets, and is 2 foot too short for the Burb (That seems to be intended for Wranglers given its dimensions), and then they basically have it designed to be modular with their own stuff, which adds up in a HUGE hurry.

The second one needs the extension piece (And would still be short) which is another $200, and still needs brackets. It's also just a 'bigger' roof basket, and not really an expedition style rack.

I was being sarcastic with 10million, I was hoping to have a completed product in the $200-400 range given its just tube/square stock, but it seems like custom is the way to go given the prices.

I didn't know if there was some place local that specialized in these kinds of things.

I've reached out to my Brother in law, he sounded interested in taking a crack at making one.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have had a larger queen size box spring on mine. But that didn't weigh much, it just wouldn't fit width wise inside.

Yup. I only ever hauled oversize and a few pieces of lumber that caused the bars to move.

Everything else fit inside.

Way better mpgs withiut shit in your roof, no worries about clearance either.... and the center of gravity thing...

I do sometimes like the look and they are a great place to mount a bro lightbar!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Mounting to stock rack cross bars? They are flexy and dont hold much. Thats part of the reason racks are expensive as they sometimes mount differently.

But back to the beginning, its a burb, its huge, what do you need to out on top?

Then we can figure out what works best for you.

Was thinking about a roof rack for 3 reasons:

1: When we do go camping/road tripping, the dogs are in the cargo area, then people would be in the main area (friends potentially in tow as well). In the Cooper/Explorer we used the roof box (and that does still work and I still have it) for the Tent, folding chairs, etc. This made trips 'cozy' to say the least still, and we only had space for us and the dogs in the old cooper, and now we have room for us, the dogs, and Haper in the Explorer. (The Burb now means we have space for Dogs, Us, Harper, and another couple of friends potentially).

2: I intended to mount lights directly to the Explorer to assist in plowing, and night shenanigans (towing home cars at night, hooking up to trailers, etc, etc). I really like the idea of setting up a roof rack expedition style to facilitate the front/rear/side lights that I already had intended to use as a mounting point to keep modifications of the truck itself to a minimum.

3: I admit, it looks cool, and I have a hard-on for 'expedition' style Burbs. So the idea of being able to do all of those 'expedition' style mods in a modular way so I can pull them off the truck is attractive in case I do go to sell it for some reason.

[MENTION=11595]Knowklew[/MENTION]'s post actually guided me to find this, which would work, and is big enough:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterio...654.aspx?t_c=3&t_s=82&t_pt=3426&t_pn=S/B45654

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How much is the mount kit?

I like a full length flat rack. I agree that a small rack in the burb is gonna look silky but the bigger the rack the more you have to worry about weight...

The vehicle specific mount kit is $92, the universal one that hooks to the cross bars (and would then sit higher) is $32.

$700 for 4.5 X 6.5 Rack with light bar tabs and vehicle exact fitting is a little on the upper echelon of what I'd like to spend at this point given how much I just shelled out on a headunit and tires :bowrofl:

I've reached out to a friend that may have a price hookup on smittybilt stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info