Need shop advice, get a car sitting for 7 years up and running.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Now this is a weird one.
My buddy is a game designer (worked on Borderlands 2 and other gearbox titles) has just gotten a job in Sweden, where he will be for 2 years, that his family is shortly following to join him. So he needs to get rid of or store most of his stuff as he sells his house.

Which brings us to the 1997 twin turbo Supra with 55k original miles that has been sitting in his garage under blankets for 7 years. It was just parked and left, no prep for long term storage, not even sta-bill in the tank.

The tires miraculously still hold air, its been in a Texas garage this whole time.
I am pretty sure I can get a company to get it up here (he wants me to look after it because he would trust me with his children), but where/who do I take it to get it up and running and road worthy without destroying a car that trades for $60k and up.

Any help is appreciated.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Screw all that. Just fire that thing right up!!

FGcarexplode.gif

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
7 years in a garage? fresh oil/fluids, fresh tank of gas, and a new battery is all that's really needed. disable ignition to build oil pressure, then let 'er rip.

I might add doing some penetrating oil into the cylinder bores to that. That way the first time the rings move in a long time they will have some lubrication. It will burn off near immediately.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
ATF or lube in cyls, hand turn engine, change out engine oil, disable fuel, crank engine without plugs in it to build up oil pressure with new oil. Start...

It's only been 7 years, and in storage. Would be a different case if it was found in barn with a hole in the roof and engine half apart exposed to the elements. At most the detergent packages in the oil broke down or separated

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info