Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The P100D is such a beast. I remember when the P85D came out the chief complaint was that the car was sick from a stop but pretty meh from a roll. Tesla gradually improved power from a roll with each subsequent release. I stumbled upon this video last night. You know the Tesla is going to win but then they did a roll race and the results were surprising even to me. This, folks, is why the internal combustion engine is on life support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JB9Ki9YWXU

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If they could design a trans, cvt or anything else to get a bit higher top end, electric would dominate in short distance racing.

Ultimately I think that just adds more complication to the drivetrain and as you can see from the video, the Tesla more than holds it's own from a roll race now whereas just a couple years ago all of those cars would have pulled from it.

I think what we'll see is just better mapping of the throttle and use of motors that are large enough to keep the car fast at speed. So if you punch it from a stop maybe 100% throttle only results in 70% effort from the motor and then as the speed builds the effort builds as well.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The P100D is such a beast. I remember when the P85D came out the chief complaint was that the car was sick from a stop but pretty meh from a roll. Tesla gradually improved power from a roll with each subsequent release. I stumbled upon this video last night. You know the Tesla is going to win but then they did a roll race and the results were surprising even to me. This, folks, is why the internal combustion engine is on life support.

thread for another day right there, but i disagree.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
So maybe this deserves its own thread, but how or can you modify electric vehicles for more output? We've seen weight reduction as the only way to make them faster. With the amount of electric vehicles planned in the next 10 years, it seems like the next generation of performance shops should be looking into this.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So maybe this deserves its own thread, but how or can you modify electric vehicles for more output? We've seen weight reduction as the only way to make them faster. With the amount of electric vehicles planned in the next 10 years, it seems like the next generation of performance shops should be looking into this.

In theory you'd swap for higher output batteries, higher output motors, etc. In practice, at least in terms of Tesla, the one guy that's done almost all of the hacking upgraded his original rear wheel drive P85 to a P90 by installing a 90kwh battery. Not content to stop there, he uploaded P90D to his car. The problem is his car is rear wheel drive and the P90D is all wheel drive. So he made a device that would simulate the front motor and send all the power to the rear wheels, effectively giving him a 593hp rear wheel drive Model S.

This is especially fun because on the older non-performance cars apparently the only difference is firmware. So say you buy a 2013 S85 non-performance and you want to turn it up. Apparently you can just upload P85 firmware to the car and wala: P85.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Internal combustion on life support? I think it will be quite some time before we even get to where electric motors even make up even 50% of new car sales. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what % of car sales are electric? It can't be that much.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Internal combustion on life support? I think it will be quite some time before we even get to where electric motors even make up even 50% of new car sales. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what % of car sales are electric? It can't be that much.

[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] is trying to stir the pot.

The number of EV vehicle sold worldwide is a rounding error compared to ICE vehicle sales.

Electric cars are a stop gap until a truly "green" alternative is developed for the masses.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

I'm not sure why the guys with those auto transmissions waited for the computer to downshift. I'm absolutely positive all those cars have a manual mode so that they could have been in the correct gear for a roll race. Would have been a lot closer I bet...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

you can see sales for full EVs here:
https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

note this is even with subsidy, and i challenge anyone to find a subsidy that sends more tax dollars to wealthy people.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'm not sure why the guys with those auto transmissions waited for the computer to downshift. I'm absolutely positive all those cars have a manual mode so that they could have been in the correct gear for a roll race. Would have been a lot closer I bet...

i wondered the same thing. i guess to simulate the real amount of time it might take for you to decide you want to go right meow and hit the pedal on the highway.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
These things aren't linear; they're exponential. The faster things move that faster they'll move.

I've been arguing this for four years now and the arguments haven't change despite clear signs that the industry as a whole, even performance companies, is moving towards electric hybrids and all electric vehicles. The end game is all electric and it will happen sooner than you think. In fact, even I didn't think adoption would be this quick and I thought we'd have some sort of battle between hydrogen and electric drivetrains which now is becoming more and more obvious that it won't happen.

Zooomer (clubgp namedrop what what) and I went out to lunch yesterday and this was a bunch of our conversation. Him and I have been talking about this for a couple years now and largely we've both been way more right than we've been wrong. It's not to say that electric in it's current iteration can completely replace gas tomorrow but we're at the beginning of the bell curve that's seeing an exponential growth in terms of funding, technology improvements, efficiency improvements, charging speed, etc.

The internal combustion engine is on life support. That's not me trolling. Write it down. Quote me in your sigs. Mock me for it. I'm right though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info