FUCK CHRYLSER, FUCK PENTASTAR V6's, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ok, took some deep breaths and walked away for a second…

Some may not know my past issues with the old van. I know I’ve posted piecework of it before, but I had to have the entire engine, then the transmission replaced after dragging Chrysler kicking and screaming through the mud to get it replaced… So past experiences weigh heavily on me.

Anyway, at the last oil change, I started it back up and noted some excessive “ticking” that was in line with the RPM of the engine, but it sounded like it was coming from the transmission case. So finally worked it into the Wife’s schedule to get the dealer to look at it, and gave them the general area I was hearing it from.

I just got the call back. The Pentastar needs all new valvetrain. Camshafts, lifters, etc...

pulseczar

Custom User Title
Sep 2, 2015
Channahon
Sucks man! As much as I've never been a fan of jap crap...I feel like with minivans you gotta bike the bullet and go Odyssey.

Our 08 Odyssey EX-L has over 250k miles and is going strong. No major repairs ever. Bought CPO in 09.

Sorry about the Chrysler. I considered the Pacifica as a replacement for our Odyssey but will probably go Sienna SE over Odyssey mainly for styling reasons. Just can't trust Chrysler even though the Pacifica does seem like it matches up well with the Toyota and Honda.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I believe all equally have about a 1/3rd of the market each.

- The Toyota is antiquated (my in-law's had a 2007 and now a 2017 and even they admit it's behind ours in features and functionality)
- The honda outside of transmission may leave Chrysler shit behind in terms of quality

But neither of those have the functional superiority of the Chrysler.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Honda's have notorious transmission problems, much like Chrysler and they still aren't as useful as the Chrysler's. Which is the key.

I think that's the older 2000's though. I feel like all the soccer moms are rocking the Odyssey and love it. My brother has a Chrysler minivan and no... just no.

As an enthusiast I respect what Chrysler is doing on some fronts but as a car buyer, they make shit, they've made shit for decades now and there's nothing to suggest that they're suddenly going to stop making shit. GM and Ford have both ebbed and flowed with respect to quality over the years; Chrysler not so much. They've been churning out trash for a long time now.

God have mercy on anyone that dropped 70 large on a muscle car pushed to the limits of it's powertrain made by a company that still can't churn out a modest powered V6 that doesn't blow itself up. Someone should just open up a Hellcat service center right now, make a name for themselves and then wait a few years. Once all the poor engineering and cost cutting comes bubbling up they'll be rich.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i see toyota/honda taxi vans with near 400k miles still running strong on the original driveline. v6 honda transmission issues were ironed out by 2004.

i can't believe chrysler brought back the pacifica name. the original was such a pile of unreliable shit, they should have buried it when they discontinued production.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I have the minivan with the Penta star V6 and it just started blowing huge clouds of blue smoke about once every few start-ups. I was researching it and it appears to be the valve guides leaking oil into the cylinder. It's been a great van up until this point. Even survived a 3,000 mile road trip this summer to South Dakota and Colorado.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
My Chrysler 200 v6 had the entire top end replaced right after I bought it. I stupidly bought it used with 53,000 miles on it. I didn't even get the car home without the check engine light coming on lol. After the top end was rebuilt, it was fine. Drove it for 2 years without any other engine problems. I got sick of always chasing stupid issues (seized each brake caliper at least once, leaked coolant, cruise control didn't work) with the car so I finally traded it in on a 2017 Escape about a month ago.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
How many miles are on sad minivan?

New model Kia Sedona's are nice.

I know a guy who just bought one for the family to replace their escape.....

Not interested in Kia's. We buy the Chrysler's for the one feature that trumps all other mini-vans on the market. The Stow-N-Go seating.

I have the minivan with the Penta star V6 and it just started blowing huge clouds of blue smoke about once every few start-ups. I was researching it and it appears to be the valve guides leaking oil into the cylinder. It's been a great van up until this point. Even survived a 3,000 mile road trip this summer to South Dakota and Colorado.

Like I said before, up until now, it's been flawless. But ours isn't the only one that has this it seems. Two others at our kids school also tick away, so now they're going to be taking their's in also.

What year pentastars do you guys have? I believe the 14+ years have revised heads.

2015. It has many of the revisions including a change to the oil filter.

My Chrysler 200 v6 had the entire top end replaced right after I bought it. I stupidly bought it used with 53,000 miles on it. I didn't even get the car home without the check engine light coming on lol. After the top end was rebuilt, it was fine. Drove it for 2 years without any other engine problems. I got sick of always chasing stupid issues (seized each brake caliper at least once, leaked coolant, cruise control didn't work) with the car so I finally traded it in on a 2017 Escape about a month ago.

That sounds like what they're going to do here. We were talking tonight at dinner. Right now, I am upside down on the van as we've had it for just over a year. So once we get right side up, we'll probably sell it. We were talking about leasing something for her, this way every 3 years or so, she gets something new, and it'll always be under warranty. She has wanted an Acadia, but since the kids were younger, the vans worked better. Now that they're older, it might be time to move on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info