Carfax accidents and trade in values

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So to make a long story short we are looking to trade my wife's 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk in on a 2014-2016 Grand Cherokee. She always wanted the GC but we settled on the Trailhawk and now we have enough positive equity to make the trade.

Here's the issue. In the spring I borrowed her car and it has an auto start/stop feature. When I was at a light the car lunged and I was too close to the guy in front of me and I tapped him, and I mean tapped. The dick bag had no damage on his car other than a scuff that can be buffed out , none on mine either, but of course he has to call the cops and file a report. He's also trying for a personal injury claim and my insurance isn't having it just to explain the type of shit head this guy is. Anyways we found a GC at the dealer we originally bought the Cherokee from and we gave them our info to get a trade value. The salesman said the car was in an accident and it may effect the value. The car isn't damaged, has never been repaired and is showing an accident based on the police report. Can they devalue the trade because of this? How hard can I push back?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
You're kinda SOL. You can't even go after Carfax for a discrepancy, which is a pain in the ass all its own. Your only option would've been to pursue a diminished value claim after the report was filed, essentially covering the gap between clean title value and accident damaged value. Since the car is less than 5 years old this would've been viable.

Other than that you're just going to have to suck it up and take less for the car.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Unfortunately they will give you less on trade in. I've been fighting State Farm for a diminished value claim for over two months now and I'm getting nowhere with it. I was in an accident driving my dad's 2016 Chrysler 200. After multiple appraisals, we're told the car is worth between $3,000 to $6,000 less with a collision listed on the Carfax.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
So to make a long story short we are looking to trade my wife's 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk in on a 2014-2016 Grand Cherokee. She always wanted the GC but we settled on the Trailhawk and now we have enough positive equity to make the trade.

Here's the issue. In the spring I borrowed her car and it has an auto start/stop feature. When I was at a light the car lunged and I was too close to the guy in front of me and I tapped him, and I mean tapped. The dick bag had no damage on his car other than a scuff that can be buffed out , none on mine either, but of course he has to call the cops and file a report. He's also trying for a personal injury claim and my insurance isn't having it just to explain the type of shit head this guy is. Anyways we found a GC at the dealer we originally bought the Cherokee from and we gave them our info to get a trade value. The salesman said the car was in an accident and it may effect the value. The car isn't damaged, has never been repaired and is showing an accident based on the police report. Can they devalue the trade because of this? How hard can I push back?

You're kinda SOL. You can't even go after Carfax for a discrepancy, which is a pain in the ass all its own. Your only option would've been to pursue a diminished value claim after the report was filed, essentially covering the gap between clean title value and accident damaged value. Since the car is less than 5 years old this would've been viable.

Other than that you're just going to have to suck it up and take less for the car.

Exactly what happened to me.

Fuck CarFax.

Fuck that cunt that filed a fucking report for a piece of bent sheet metal and scuff on some plastic. All repairable items worth less than $20 and 15 minutes of your time on a weekend.

SOL KASKYKYKYKYKYYYYYYY

Reactions: Yaj Yak

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Unfortunately they will give you less on trade in. I've been fighting State Farm for a diminished value claim for over two months now and I'm getting nowhere with it. I was in an accident driving my dad's 2016 Chrysler 200. After multiple appraisals, we're told the car is worth between $3,000 to $6,000 less with a collision listed on the Carfax.

You are going to have to sue them in small claims court. State Farm is the worst. They will never settle unless its for pennies on the dollar. I called a guy I found online that does these for people for a small fee, and he said he wont even do them for State Farm cases.

Good luck

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

Fuck CarFax.

Fuck that cunt that filed a fucking report for a piece of bent sheet metal and scuff on some plastic. All repairable items worth less than $20 and 15 minutes of your time on a weekend.

SOL KASKYKYKYKYKYYYYYYY

Carfax and auto check should have a spot for how much was the repair was for. period the end

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Sounds like it's a all a scam between carfax and dealerships to make more money on trade ins

dealers don't want cars with an accident report because they are harder to sell. customers have a hard enough time believing dealerships already do u think if you saw a bad Carfax on a vehicle u were trying to buy would u believe it was just a sctrach? naw

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The dealership can go fuck an ass if they think the car is worth 25% less because of a no damage accident. I will sue the asshole that filed the police report for diminished value before I take $5,000 off the value of the car. Everyday there are hundreds of thousands of cars in fender benders, I don't see these 75% market value deals on car lots.

Reactions: Rent Free

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Carfax is absolutely worthless for accidents.
kinda related

gonna be selling a pickup truck we have.

has this on the carfax:

1699977777177.png

it was never in an accident.

the front right fender was replaced due to some rust starting at the bottom of it because ford used this weird sound deadening shit behind it.

so... not damaged at all. just a fender replaced.

1699978095167.png

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Fuck CarFax.

SOL KASKYKYKYKYKYYYYYYY
oh hey.

fuck that cunt and fuck carfax

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
kinda related

gonna be selling a pickup truck we have.

has this on the carfax:

View attachment 185546

it was never in an accident.

the front right fender was replaced due to some rust starting at the bottom of it because ford used this weird sound deadening shit behind it.

so... not damaged at all. just a fender replaced.

View attachment 185547
Welp, just bring it to the scrapyard where it belongs with that horrible carfax

Graveyard Junkyard GIF by MotorTrend

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info