04ish Explorer or something less than $4k

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
im looking for a cheap daily to do some highway driving because i dont trust the 335i :rollpicard: . im looking to spend a maximum of $4k. i have seen a lot of nice 04ish Explorers with decent mileage for around 3-4 but i know nothing about them. any thing to worry about them for a daily?

or, if the explorers are junk, what else would you guys recommend? doesn't HAVE to be an suv, but the 4wd and ability to put a brush guard on it is appealing as all of my driving will be country highways. but, i could be talked into something else. doesn't have to be sporty at all or fast but it must be 4 doors.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
im looking for a cheap daily to do some highway driving because i dont trust the 335i :rollpicard: . im looking to spend a maximum of $4k. i have seen a lot of nice 04ish Explorers with decent mileage for around 3-4 but i know nothing about them. any thing to worry about them for a daily?

or, if the explorers are junk, what else would you guys recommend? doesn't HAVE to be an suv, but the 4wd and ability to put a brush guard on it is appealing as all of my driving will be country highways. but, i could be talked into something else. doesn't have to be sporty at all or fast but it must be 4 doors.

No one tagged me? Really?

Gen3 Explorers are generally very robust. (I'm a big fan of second gen trucks because they are silly cheap, but they get piss poor fuel economy)

The things to watch for:

Steer clear of 02/03 trucks period, both the V6 and V8 have timing chain guide issues that have part revisions in later years and are less prone to issues.
Rust likes to hide in and under the rear doors
The 'center panel' between the tailgate glass and tailgate metal always ALWAYS cracks.
V6 trucks are an engine out service for chain guides, V8s can be done with the engine in the truck.
The transmissions behind both options are exceptionally good and strong SO LONG AS THEY HAVE FLUID. The V6 trans doesn't have a dipstick, so any kind of transmission flare while driving is bad news. The hoses going to the coolers often rust causing a slow leak, leading to trans failure.
These are IRS trucks, so front and back have CVs, so check for leaking/torn boots.
3 row seating was an option in these trucks if you need that for some reason.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
the 3rd row seating is what got me initially looking at the explorer because it could be a cheap daily that could be more useful.

First gen Expeditions are commonly 3 tow trucks, and are 'simpler' than the 3rd explorers (sold rear end, half ton chassis), and can be had for well under your budget as well. They are more prone to rust, and the 5.4 trucks can have that whole spitting/cranking spark plugs thing, but so long as they've had a fairly recent service are tanks.

They don't really get much worse fuel economy than an early 4.6 explorer and would be cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ldyzluvdis06
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list