The Model S is an amazing buy right now

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So much so that I'm thinking about cutting my P85D lease short and grabbing a new S.

6 months ago the base Model S cost $68,000 and came with a 60kwh battery capable of 208 miles of range and accelerated to 60mph in 5.6 seconds. Your base model car would ride on a coil suspension and lacked certain optional amenities like a power lift gate.

Fast forward to today and your base Model S costs just $1500 more but comes with a 75kwh battery capable of 249 miles of range and accelerates to 60mph in just 4.3 seconds (one tenth slower than the original M5 beating P85). The $2500 air suspension is now standard as is an all glass fixed roof, power lift gate and a bunch of other options that are now standard. Add $5000 to enable autopilot and you're all in for $74,500. Subtract $7,500 for the federal tax credit and you're back to $67,000.

In every way but range (249 versus 265) this is a better car than the original $105,000 P85 and comes in at about $30,000 less than the base P85 did.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
cool-story-bro_o_1248658.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Equally equipped, and when I say equally equipped I mean two absolutely identical cars right down to the finishes and options, the P100D is is $70,500 more expensive than the 75. In other words, for the price of one P100D you could buy two 75's and still have $1000 left over for booze and hookers.

That's the problem with Tesla. You can't spec a 528i like you can a 550i and you can't spec a 550i like you can an M5. Those top tier models have certain luxuries and options that are unavailable on the lesser versions. Those options are often how people justify paying so much more for the higher spec cars. With the Model S you can spec a base mode, no option car the same way you can spec a top of the line P100D. So when you're looking at that price tag and you see that $70,500 difference you know you're not paying for better brakes, or an appearance package, better suspension, etc. You're paying for speed and range. I might put a value of 10 - 15k on that. $70,500... not so much.

For as excessive as LA is, I rarely see P100D's. Tons of 70's, 90D's etc. Not so many P85Ds, P90D's or P100Ds.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Just saw all this stuff as well. And while this makes me want to pull the trigger on one, it's also a reason I'm hesitant.

I mean if I bought this car what 2 months ago? It would just be finished being built and I would have paid thousands more for it with all of these features. That would really piss me off.

So now I'm sitting here wanting one, but also wondering what will change next month? This car is kind of like an iPhone in the sense that it changes so fast and so much, yet it's not 700 dollars is 70,000 dollars to gamble.

I just don't want to buy it and then suddenly in 3 months the 75 kw is gone and the 90 is the base model for the same price I paid

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
One thing that sucks, heated seats are now clumped into the $5k premium package.

That's somewhat of a misconception. The rear heated seats are clumped into the premium package. The fronts come heated either way.

Just saw all this stuff as well. And while this makes me want to pull the trigger on one, it's also a reason I'm hesitant.

I mean if I bought this car what 2 months ago? It would just be finished being built and I would have paid thousands more for it with all of these features. That would really piss me off.

So now I'm sitting here wanting one, but also wondering what will change next month? This car is kind of like an iPhone in the sense that it changes so fast and so much, yet it's not 700 dollars is 70,000 dollars to gamble.

I just don't want to buy it and then suddenly in 3 months the 75 kw is gone and the 90 is the base model for the same price I paid

That is fair criticism. There a lot of pissed off people on the forums that are tired of Tesla switching it up every week. Imagine this... The 75D's built a month ago for the same price accelerate to 60 in 5.6 seconds versus 4.2 now and came with a coil suspension. Overnight the change was made. It makes me happy I sold my last one and leased my P85D because Tesla is making the cars so much nicer at such a fast pace that my P85D right now isn't worth as much as it's residual will be at the end of my lease. I think my residual is $82,000 and right now my car is worth about $75,000. Buying it would have been dumb.

Guys, this is one of the best purchases you can make right now. This engineering marvel for less than $70k is unreal!

I challenge anyone to list a car in this price range even CLOSE to this level of technology and performance.

Not sure if serial or not.

Tesla..... As my buddy Trump would say, failing auto company.

Elaborate with facts por favor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info