E85 questions...

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Well I will be switching to E85 with my F1-A setup and wanted to see how those that are running the corn are liking it. It's evident the performance from it, but those that are running pump E85, how much of a pain is it to test? And when you do you test? Are you adjusting your tune? I have no plans to use drum E85 as I don't have the room to store it. I would think you find that one station around your house that has a good % and stick to that one?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
With the Supra, I was flex fuel, so I really didnt care. I tuned it on good E85 and then just let the haltech do the rest.

The Evo, I was on the stock ecu and had to switch between 93 and E85 maps. I had the car tuned on Thorntons, which was usually 75% or above. Basically, I went to any E85 station except Shell (its garbage) and didnt really care. It worked out fine. If you're on FB, join an E85 group since those folks are always testing.

Somewhere on the site, I posted a breakdown of stations with their %. I'll have to find it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I personally never tested a single pump. Thorntons is always reliable. Speedway was fine...Car made 700whp on 40psi. Never had a problem with bad gas. Like I said, avoid Shell.

State minimum is 51% for E85..but for the most part, you'll see 70% and above. The Fast Mart at Randall and Huntley was ALWAYS awesome. 80-85% spot on.

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
I debated doing an E85 tune for the car, but I'm not interested in throwing more timing at it for potentially not great E85. I'm OCD when it comes to stuff like this. I wouldn't feel comfortable going WOT with the E85 tune unless I knew the fuel was true E85.

I had -1 degree of timing on bad 93, but "normal" hellcats do that. I data log on WOT runs during different times of the day. Still trying different stations.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Wouldnt make a difference unless you're traveling back in time and are on the sniffer, and even then I doubt it would make a difference.

But Fords are weird with emissions now. As long as all of your monitors are reporting, you're fine. You cant have ANYTHING turned off now, rear o2 for example.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I use vp c85 , takes the guesswork out lol . It's expensive but I cut it with 93 to make e45 . It evens out the price somewhat per gallon . Still expensive though . Vp also makes x85 if you don't want to spend a lot for their high end super corn .

Sunoco makes E85r too . Not sure on price . Winners circle sells it .

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The fear of running bad e85 really has no basis imo. A good tuner shouldn't have your car pushed so far to the limit that 70% vs 85% is going to cause problems.

Again, both the Supra and the Evo made 700+ and I never checked the pump.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Do it and don't look back . like stated before anything above 70% doesn't make much of a difference . you need all the low end torque you can get running F1a with factory air to water setup . one more thing don't store the car with E85 over winter time , put 93 in it

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Vp sells 5 15 30 55 gallons . Sunoco sells 5 gallons , not sure what else .

Also you're going to be using a lot more fuel when switching over . So your pump and injectors might need to be upgraded to be able to push it. I run an auxiliary fuel kit with an extra injector instead .

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Be aware that the percentage of ethanol changes with the season. There is a website that the EPA shows when the different grades start production in different areas. So be aware that spring and fall will have limited higher ethanol mixes.

What car is this for? A 03/04 Cobra? Older ECU and equipment will not allow for great changes in a/f mixture based on the ethonal content. They don't have wideband o2 sensors and strategies that can be used to correct the a/f at part and wide open throttle. So if tuned on E85 but you get E60, for example, the car will run rich. But the thing that I more concerning is the drop in octane rating with the ethonal.

The best thing to do is tall to your tuner. Ask him what options you have for different ethonal mixtures. If it is a older car they will probably give you different tunes. Like an E60, street E85, and more aggressive timing race E85 for the likes of VP85 at the track. Something you can be confident in the fuel time and time again. Otherwise just use the E85 when it comes in season until it tests lower. Then switch back to 93.

Good E85 had a 112-114 octane rating. So well worth it if your fuel system and tuner are up to it.

Newer cars and stand alone ECU with flex fuel capability is something way more flexible. At some point something to think about if you want more flexibility, easier data logging, and more. Of you can justify the cost.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Yes, it will be on a stock ECU on a 03 Cobra, I am running twin 465 pumps, return style fuel system with ID1000 injectors. my entire fuel system is compatible with E85. I want to get car up and running with this setup and plans for future upgrades will be A2A with 01 Cobra short runner intake, and I am looking into SCT Pro Racer to see if there are any benefits there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info