Shady dealings with shady dealerships

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Ran into a rather frustrating situation today and hoping for some advice. I helped my sis buy a car back in January of 16 so it's been a while back now. Not going to name names just yet but anyways, at the time of purchase it was a 2015 model car (VW Golf SEL) that had about 11k on it. Carfax looked clean but it noted that the drivers side seat was replaced somewhat recently (at the time) which I thought was a bit odd. When I inquired about it, the dealer assured me it was due to something minor, perhaps a defect of some sort and not to worry. I also asked the salesman if he knew why the car was traded in, since it was a fully loaded top level model and seemingly on great shape. He stated that the previous owner just liked it so much, they simply wanted to step up to a GTI, not to worry.
Fast forward to present day, my sis goes to change insurance carriers for her car, at which time they did some kind of history report on the car. They found out that the car was involved in a rather serious accident just a few months before we bought it (detailing things like airbag deployment and injury to the driver) that just for some reason didn't show up on the carfax that the dealership provided to us. Insurance agent even asked if she was sure the car didn't have a rebuilt title and she was shocked it didn't based on whatever was in the report. Not only that, the dealer we bought it from did the work to fix it!! Hearing that, I'm honestly super flipping pissed. They straight lied to us about the history of the car and had we known, I certainly wouldn't have let my sis buy the car. Seeing as it's been such a long time since the purchase, do we have any chance of some sort of recourse? I mean ideally I'd want them to buy it back, seeing as they lied through their teeth and we therefore bought the car under false pretenses. But I don't know how realistic that is. What would you do?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Was the car certified in any way? Or does any of the paperwork state that they won't sell you a frame damaged/rebuilt/airbag deployment? Salespeople don't always know what is going on with the background of the car and will say most anything, whether they are being dishonest or just clueless.

You could try selling/trading it back to them to see if they will give you a decent value for it (don't expect them to give you the same price you paid for it), since most other dealerships will probably not be interested based on the history report/inspection of the vehicle.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Not Autobarn although I'm surprised to hear that. I've had good luck with AB Mt Prospect but then again I understand they're under different ownership now from one another.

Sis took a look and found the original docs but the carfax wasn't in there, she swears she remembers them specifically taking back the copy she signed and not having been given another but that doesn't help. So frustrating, I flipping hate car dealers!

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
If the dealership took back the signed car fax copy they'll have it on file. By law dealerships must keep deal jackets for around 8-10 years before being able to discard them. You could ask the dealer to pull your file and see if the signed car fax is in there, which it should be if they kept it.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Also a good question, I don't think I'd have an issue with the actual car if it was done correctly with everything functional. Good body work is amazing.

Hopefully it was sold well under fair market value though, that's something to be pissed off about if you paid way more.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
not everything shows up on carfax. for the 1,385th time.

Seriously this ^^^

The dealer may not have lied to you. If they didn't know it was in an accident and provided a legit car fax are they really at fault?

Example... I hit a deer in my Cruze. It was all repaired, went to trade it in and carfax showed it was clean never in an accident.

Also I realize it's beyond the 1 year mark but I believe there is a 1 year full refund buy back period if anything pops up on the car fax not noted at time of sale such as this. I was provided that at the time of sale on my Volt. Basically a company would buy the car back if an accident showed up and I didn't want the car anymore

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Seriously this ^^^

The dealer may not have lied to you. If they didn't know it was in an accident and provided a legit car fax are they really at fault?

Example... I hit a deer in my Cruze. It was all repaired, went to trade it in and carfax showed it was clean never in an accident.

Also I realize it's beyond the 1 year mark but I believe there is a 1 year full refund buy back period if anything pops up on the car fax not noted at time of sale such as this. I was provided that at the time of sale on my Volt. Basically a company would buy the car back if an accident showed up and I didn't want the car anymore

they did the work on the car though the OP said.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I just went and looked at the Buyback gaurantee, point #12;

The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee is valid for one (1) year following the date of the Report regarding which the Claimant is making a claim.

Which means you need that original copy of the Carfax run by the dealership when you bought the car, which is in point 2;

The Claimant must complete and submit to CARFAX an executed and notarized Affidavit Claim Form and provide a complete copy of the Report. The Report must have been run prior to the date the Vehicle was purchased by the Claimant, but no more than 30 days prior to the purchase.

So with that said, I think CarFax will tell you "sorry". I really think that this needs to get thrown back in the dealerships' court and perhaps even obtaining legal counsel to pursue further. That key is the vehicle history report though. And through legal representation, getting the sell file, which it should be in, in it's original format, is key.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info