turbo ls2, e85? who can help me pick out parts

bnr32

Regular
Nov 6, 2013
Working on a friends car and he would like to add a power adder. the engine is a tbss ls2 in an older chevelle. engine has a fast 102 with a nw102 tb, PRC heads with dual springs, stock bottom end and a Si5v2 cam from Speed. I'm sure the cam isn't the best for a turbo car so that can be changed if needed. trans is built (4l65e), and a yank 3600 stall.

he wants 600-650ish to the tire for now. I told him a nice Borg Warner t6 frame turbo should be a good pick.

so you mid 600hp single turbo LS cars, which size turbo would you go for, also should we get rid of that fast 102 for a different style intake? I'm also almost thinking of going to E85 since he'll need new injectors and I can add another pump. Was going to do cast manifolds flipped and fab the rest of the hot and cold sides, and an air to air intercooler too.

so who here is good with a turbo LS that wouldn't mind picking out some parts with me. :) it's more of a cruiser not a track only car. I told him if we do most of the work, minus the tuning ( car is stock ecu with hp tuners now) a budget of 5-6,000 should be the ballpark. Am I way off?

thanks errrrbody

bnr32

Regular
Nov 6, 2013
NMWpoEK.jpg

Qic29Sf.jpg

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
T6 s475. Cheap and easy to find
LS6 intake
Squash performance dual 450 pumps. Use stock fuel hard lines
Bosch 160s. Fuel system might be over kill for that target range but do it once n never have to touch it again.
Tu1.5 speed inc cam

Budget build level expert.

I have a JP performance double roller chain for sale if interested.

bnr32

Regular
Nov 6, 2013
T6 s475. Cheap and easy to find
LS6 intake
Squash performance dual 450 pumps. Use stock fuel hard lines
Bosch 160s. Fuel system might be over kill for that target range but do it once n never have to touch it again.
Tu1.5 speed inc cam

Budget build level expert.

I have a JP performance double roller chain for sale if interested.

Awesome thanks for the info. Only pain in the ass is i dont
Know if an ls6 intake would work since its truck accessories and would be a big headache to swap

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
6-700ish WHP is a piece of cake with a turbo LS setup. No FAST intake needed at all. Use a stock intake and force more air in, my old TA setup used a stock as a rock LS6 intake. Fuel system is definitely the expensive piece, Mikey's suggestion above is a solid choice, but could be reduced a bit to save some $ probably - if needed.

Cam selection is HUGE. Don't overlook this. A cam made for a turbo setup matching the vehicle the engine will go into is key.

Converter is also a big consideration. Don't skimp. Spend the $ and be confident that you won't blow through the converter and cause crazy temp issues in your trans.

Tuning - if you can tune yourself, AWESOME. Saves tons of money and allows for constant tweaking, which you'll see is something that is required to keep a turbo car on the top of its game (at least in my experience). Grab a wideband and a copy of HPTuners and get to learning it!

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Working on a friends car and he would like to add a power adder. the engine is a tbss ls2 in an older chevelle. engine has a fast 102 with a nw102 tb, PRC heads with dual springs, stock bottom end and a Si5v2 cam from Speed. I'm sure the cam isn't the best for a turbo car so that can be changed if needed. trans is built (4l65e), and a yank 3600 stall.

he wants 600-650ish to the tire for now. I told him a nice Borg Warner t6 frame turbo should be a good pick.
Given your goals and considering your top end I'd suggest you sell the intake and heads setup since those are some pricy items and get an ls3 top end which seems to be a very nice boost setup for cheap.
If you like speed inc, consider one of their boost cams like the TU1.5.
I'm running a TU1 and it's been great for my setup. You may want to call circle d or yank to see what they say about converter options. I'd lean toward a nice 3400-3600 stall turbo converter.

so you mid 600hp single turbo LS cars, which size turbo would you go for, also should we get rid of that fast 102 for a different style intake? I'm also almost thinking of going to E85 since he'll need new injectors and I can add another pump. Was going to do cast manifolds flipped and fab the rest of the hot and cold sides, and an air to air intercooler too.
Sounds like you'll have alot more options for turbos than most fbody guys working around space constraints. For that power level a t4 or t6 borg warner standard turbo would do just fine. Since you got the room a t6 s480 would be my recommendation that would give you the best options for going wild later if you so choose. E85 is what I run and I'd recommend it to anyone that has pumps nearby, knows how to test, and is willing to log/tune since variance can occur and troubleshooting e85 cars can be a little more involved. If you go with a single 450 walbro that should be able to hit 600whp on e85 and then later if he wants more you can run dual 450's. As for injectors you could get 1000cc or 95lbers to hit those power levels and then later go with some ID1700's if he wants to crank it up. Might as well do a fuel pressure reg setup right off the bat and worry about the second pump and bigger injectors later.
so who here is good with a turbo LS that wouldn't mind picking out some parts with me. :) it's more of a cruiser not a track only car. I told him if we do most of the work, minus the tuning ( car is stock ecu with hp tuners now) a budget of 5-6,000 should be the ballpark. Am I way off?
My car is more of a cruiser than it is a drag car as I drive it all around town. Like I said about the budget, if you sell some of your pricey NA items that will offset the costs of going with a turbo setup since you can get away with cheaper basic parts for the motor. This will open you up for spending more money on solid fueling which is where the power is going to be made. For the motor at a minimum you should get headstuds and good head gaskets, springs, and a c5r chain.
thanks errrrbody
See above. Let me know if you have any questions.

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
Mikey, Dan, and Will are are on the right track. I made over 1000 horsepower on an ls6 intake so definitely ditch the fast...it won't hold up at higher boost levels. Turbo I'd do an S480 with a cast wheel. It is cheap and you'd have a lot of room to grow with it. Converter I'd definitely go with a PTC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info