Luxury coupe or small crossover

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So my dad is looking to get a new car. He likes coupes. He wants a larger size luxury coupe. He currently has an Acura CL S-Type and Jaguar XK8. He wants something bigger than the CL. He also complains that some of these new cars are so low and hard to get in.

I thought something like a 6 series BMW would be what he is looking for. But it looks like BMW does not offer them anymore. So what options would he have? What experiences have you guys had with any of these cars? Any suggestions or info is appreciated.

List I came up with was the BMW 4 series, Infinity Q60, Jaguar F Type, Lexus RC 350, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

I also suggested he might want to check out something like the Mercedes-Benz GLC or Porsche Macan. He has yet to check them out in person, but he was more receptive to that idea way may than he was a larger sedan. Any other crossovers or small SUV I should recommend?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
giphy.gif

Mercedes recently re-introduced the C-Class coupe. It's as comfortable as the regular C-Class, which was our car of the year in 2015. The E-Class coupe is new for 2018 and a level above the C-Class in every way. It feels airier on the inside and has more backseat room and more greenhouse too so it feels larger. There's nothing wrong with the outgoing E-Class coupe other than being outdated on the inside and feeling a decade old. The ultimate Benz coupe is the S-Class. Oh my :wackit: It's like driving a living room on wheels. Love that car, but gauging by the other this might be on the outside of what he's looking at.

The luxury crowd has been producing these "SUV coupes" (the name defies logic) but it might be up your dad's alley. The BMW X4, GLC Coupe (not just the regular GLC) have the fastback look. Macan is a great choice too.

I think the RC is fine, but nothing really stands out. It's one of those cars that's just kind of there. Not engaging or interesting or even that luxurious. If you like the way it looks then it's a perfectly find coupe but nothing to brag about. Very spacious, however. More than the 4 Series and Q60.

OK, that's a lot of rambling. I'd have him drive an A5/S5. It just popped up on our calendar so I haven't driven it yet but if we're talking sedans (C-Class/3 Series/A4) in that size the A4 is my favorite and the A5 is identical except it's a coupe. It's bigger for 2018 than the old A5.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Thanks [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] I am sure the new S class is amazing. Not sure if he wants to spend that much. But he likes the looks of the E Class.

He saw a neighbor had an RC 350 as a rental a few months ago. I think he liked the styling but I think he thought it was a little on the small side. He is 6'2" and 65 years old. Getting in low, smaller cars is harder for him. He kind of slides into his XK8. Then puts his hand on the door sill to roll out of it. He thinks a larger coupe would have longer doors than a sedan. So it would be easier to get in. But the ride heights on them still may be an issue. That is why I think a small SUV or crossover would be a better suit for him. Especially since there are sporty looking ones out there.

I did mean the GLC coupe. I think he would go for the AMG model. Would the GLC coupe, X4 or Macan they feel like a typical SUV in the way the handle? Or do you feel like you are in a bigger sedan? If that makes sense?

My dad is great. But just so you can see how he is, he likes sporty cars but doesn't really drive that spirited. I think he likes the look more than the performance. Wants to feel young I'm sure. lol He is old school. He will not use 95% of the technology features in these cars. He has a flip phone without Bluetooth only for emergencies and refuses to use the automatic HVAC controls. He controls the temperature and fan speeds. hahaha

In the next week we will go to dealerships to look and test drive some vehicles. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some or is some were to stay way from.

Again, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Thanks [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] I am sure the new S class is amazing. Not sure if he wants to spend that much. But he likes the looks of the E Class.

He saw a neighbor had an RC 350 as a rental a few months ago. I think he liked the styling but I think he thought it was a little on the small side. He is 6'2" and 65 years old. Getting in low, smaller cars is harder for him. He kind of slides into his XK8. Then puts his hand on the door sill to roll out of it. He thinks a larger coupe would have longer doors than a sedan. So it would be easier to get in. But the ride heights on them still may be an issue. That is why I think a small SUV or crossover would be a better suit for him. Especially since there are sporty looking ones out there.

I did mean the GLC coupe. I think he would go for the AMG model. Would the GLC coupe, X4 or Macan they feel like a typical SUV in the way the handle? Or do you feel like you are in a bigger sedan? If that makes sense?

My dad is great. But just so you can see how he is, he likes sporty cars but doesn't really drive that spirited. I think he likes the look more than the performance. Wants to feel young I'm sure. lol He is old school. He will not use 95% of the technology features in these cars. He has a flip phone without Bluetooth only for emergencies and refuses to use the automatic HVAC controls. He controls the temperature and fan speeds. hahaha

In the next week we will go to dealerships to look and test drive some vehicles. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some or is some were to stay way from.

Again, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

SUVs that don't drive like SUVs are part of the reason why sedan and coupe sales are down. This smaller performance SUVs drive like sedans. Tight handling, minimal body roll and especially on an AMG 43, Macan S or X4 M40i that are tuned for quick responses. Those SUVs will snarl and snort like a performance car too - they have sport exhausts, which may also appeal to your dad.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The F-Pace sure looks and sounds good.

What about a Tesla S?

Eric seemed pretty excited about the F Pace until they drove it. So we will see when we go test drive vehicles.

SUVs that don't drive like SUVs are part of the reason why sedan and coupe sales are down. This smaller performance SUVs drive like sedans. Tight handling, minimal body roll and especially on an AMG 43, Macan S or X4 M40i that are tuned for quick responses. Those SUVs will snarl and snort like a performance car too - they have sport exhausts, which may also appeal to your dad.

That is good to hear. I have not really paid attention to that segment. But I have noticed more Macan and X4 running around and they caught my eye. I am excited to check them out.

Meh... He needs a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV.

That's my universal answer to everything... Get a Suburban.

Too big haha

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, I like them too. Not sure if you saw the recent discussion in the news subsection (the Nio EV lapping the ring), however, I'm not completely sold on it.

It DOES elminate much of the range anxiety, but while it's stupid fast from a dead stop, it's actually stupid slow from any type of a roll (C&D compared it to a Hellcat of course, and from 40 - 150, it was 6 seconds slower). Short of your home charging and work charging, the infrastructure on the road just isn't there yet, especially if he's around here. If he's in California or the Northeast, different story. But when I looked up where a Supercharger is, the closest to me in Elgin is at Woodman's in North Aurora. The next two are 1 up in Highland Park and then 1 in Rockford. Destination chargers (regular chargers at places where you can eat, shop, etc), have a few more around the area, but generally are listed as "for patrons only" or they only have one charger...

If you say he lets it sit for long periods of time, outside, that won't help battery storage any, either.

The other car with comprable range, is a Chevy Bolt (not the Volt), with something like 230 miles. But that thing is a penalty box as far as I'm concerned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info