335xi with upgraded turbos are no joke! Video inside

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIqXCLDR74

Its a shakedown trailer vid. I finally dumped my manual boost controller and he's working out the kinks in his new trans flash. We weren't going to run but when we ended up in the same strip mall coincidentally on a saturday night with decent chicago weather, we both knew it was gonna go down! :D

I knew those Pure Stage 2 turbo cars were quick but his being an auto, the way he reeled me in up top in the 2nd run caught me by surprise. Granted im running less boost then when I raced the c6z06 but still..! As stated, im working thru just optimizing my setup one by one and I'm at the last few steps. Should be a good run when we both go at it again next time!

Nomie

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The BMW N54 & N55 is an impressive motor. There are single turbo versions out there making 800-900 on stock motors. Done right they can move out. The Pure Stage 2 turbos have been shown to make some good power. Their single for the N55 is starting to show promise as well. That guy will be limited on how much power he can use due to the transfer case for the AWD. A couple weeks ago member of the community helped xHP come up with a flash that removed the transfer case torque limits. So I guess if he wants to push it, he can see how much power that transfer case and auto trans can really take.

Your car seems to be rolling well as you creep up on the tune.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
The BMW N54 & N55 is an impressive motor. There are single turbo versions out there making 800-900 on stock motors. Done right they can move out. The Pure Stage 2 turbos have been shown to make some good power. Their single for the N55 is starting to show promise as well. That guy will be limited on how much power he can use due to the transfer case for the AWD. A couple weeks ago member of the community helped xHP come up with a flash that removed the transfer case torque limits. So I guess if he wants to push it, he can see how much power that transfer case and auto trans can really take.

Your car seems to be rolling well as you creep up on the tune.

Definitely very impressive. There seems to be a huge following for these cars and they seem to be making the power rather reliably thus far! 500+ is a breeze as long as the maintenance and normal wear items are addressed.

Whats the main difference between the n54 and n55? both are straight 6 twin turbos right?

Yeah the guy I ran just purchased the port injection kit and made sure to message me when he did...:bigthumb::noes:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The N54 and N55 are very similar. They say the N55 is probably stronger. But the main difference is the N54 is twin turbo and the N55 is a twin scroll single.

I had no idea until I bought a 335i posted her in TCG. It was after the fact that I found out they mod and tune the hell out of these things. I am finishing the install of full bolt ons right now. I hope to make 400+ with an off the shelf tune. I just couldn't justify the cost of upgraded turbos on my daily driver. But ya, 500-650 is pretty common with upgraded turbos. I saw at TK2017 a N54 335i had a single turbo upgrade and 900 whp. On a stock motor. insane lol

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
The N54 and N55 are very similar. They say the N55 is probably stronger. But the main difference is the N54 is twin turbo and the N55 is a twin scroll single.

I had no idea until I bought a 335i posted her in TCG. It was after the fact that I found out they mod and tune the hell out of these things. I am finishing the install of full bolt ons right now. I hope to make 400+ with an off the shelf tune. I just couldn't justify the cost of upgraded turbos on my daily driver. But ya, 500-650 is pretty common with upgraded turbos. I saw at TK2017 a N54 335i had a single turbo upgrade and 900 whp. On a stock motor. insane lol

oh so that is a pretty significant difference, one is twin the other is a single. I'll take the n55 without knowing much else. Have 1 less turbo makes the setup a whole lot simpler IMO. N54's seem to be the more popular ones but I guess it will just be a matter of time before n55's see their time in the spotlight.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Damn, that 2nd run, looked like he was ready to put the bus lengths on.

yeah i was completely baffled at how quickly he pulled up..i was in the middle of 4th gear and I was looking in the rearview like yeah this one is over and all of a sudden...:rofl:

I'm pretty content at the power im making. I could crank my boost up another 8-10psi but I don't think im going to do that at the moment. There's always someone that will be faster.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
oh so that is a pretty significant difference, one is twin the other is a single. I'll take the n55 without knowing much else. Have 1 less turbo makes the setup a whole lot simpler IMO. N54's seem to be the more popular ones but I guess it will just be a matter of time before n55's see their time in the spotlight.

Twins have their advantages. The twin scroll turbine on the single works well. I think when you go with a big single is where the slow spool times come into play. The twins are limited in how big they can be and how much the compressor side can flow. That is why N54 guys switch to a big single when they chase big power. And yes, the single can simplify things as well.

I can say a full bolt on n54 is hard to beat. The N55 is no slouch. The great thing is this platform still has a growing aftermarket and support. And the new series turbo 6 cylinders they use in current vehicles will be fun to see develop as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
yeah i was completely baffled at how quickly he pulled up..i was in the middle of 4th gear and I was looking in the rearview like yeah this one is over and all of a sudden...:rofl:

I'm pretty content at the power im making. I could crank my boost up another 8-10psi but I don't think im going to do that at the moment. There's always someone that will be faster.

What kind of power do you make? I say on a BMW forum a guy in the midwest made 500+ with the Pure Stage 2 turbos and initial tuning. I would bet this guy is in the same ballpark. With fueling he will probably get 600-650.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
At 24psi I was making ~530-550whp. I'm about 34XXlbs.

That 335 from the way it was pulling it seems to me its making upper 500's. He mentioned he's pegging his walbro 450 fuel pump. IIRC it takes about 600whp to max those out and he's an auto so I don't find it hard to believe at all. How much boost can those pure stage 2's run effectively?

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
im in the process for saving for turbos. haven't made up my mind whether or not ill go upgraded twins or go a large singe. the large single will produce more power, but since i want to stay stock auto, im not chasing 800HP. granted, with the new trans flashing tool (what he is using) i could limit torque down low to help baby the trans.

also, the upgraded twins i am considering (MMP stage 3's) will net around 650WHP with my current setup/fuel. but upgraded twins are harder on the trans due to the constant duty.

if i keep the car, it will go under the knife this winter.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I think one of the reasons I enjoy driving this car so much is the torque this engine produces. It makes it feel like a big v8. That torque gets the car moving quick. Twins are great for the street. Due to the limited turbine inlet and wheel, the twins be will be less efficient as you push for more and more power. A twin scroll & ball bearing single wouldn't be bad. But it can be expensive and will lag some. Especially if you go with a larger turbine side to flow big HP.

Those MMP stage 3 and Vargas GC turbos are a nice upgrade. But those singles can make some killer power. Rough to make those decisions I guess. lol

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I think one of the reasons I enjoy driving this car so much is the torque this engine produces. It makes it feel like a big v8. That torque gets the car moving quick.

This all day. Thats one of the things that was quite apparent the first time I drove my 235. If I knew nothing about the engine in this car I'd never guess there's a turbo on it. With how this engine makes all its torque BELOW 2k rpms, it almost feels like a damn electric car when you step on the gas :rofl: Definitely love my N55. Even just cruising. Dont like the peasant car thats keeping pace next to you? Just give the gas a quick stab and...oh wait where'd he go?

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Nice to see these platforms kept their momentum. Back in my day meth, JB3, FMIC, DP, DCI was pretty much the standard goal (it was mine anyway) with the RB turbos being the option if you had patience and deep pockets. I think they were just then figuring out the fueling solution as those mods were pushing the edge of the envelope IIRC.

I miss mine all the time, even more so when I read all these threads around here.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, new turbos to market, smoother flash DME tunes, new intercoolers, multiple turbo inlets and so on. The new trans software is a huge thing that happened in the last few months as well. It is great to see new things coming to market years after the E9x platform was replaced.

Fueling is coming along but still not cheap. It will be interesting if cheaper port nozzle intakes come to market. That is what is really needed to save the fueling from being so expensive. Fun times for this platform.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

I don't know if you're talking WHP or crank but I was pushing 470 at the crank and I believe almost exactly 400 at the wheels with just a tune, intake and E85. With the stock downpipes the car had more turbo lag than a 1985 Saab but once they kicked you were off.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Right now with a stepped intercooler, dual cone air filters, and MHD Stage 1+ tune, it should be about 360-370 crank hp. According to MHD. I hope to be 400 wheel hp with an auto Xdrive. Stock N54 & turbos, turbo inlets, catless down pipes, 5" stepped intercooler, charge pipe, Low-pressure fuel pump upgrade, and Stage 2+ OTS 93 octane map. Later with E30 and the OTS MHD E30 map.

MHD is coming out with flex fuel maps. So kind of waiting to see what happens with those before I go crazy with larger amounts of E85. I don't want to have to spend a fortune on fuel upgrades to run straight E85. But if I can run a flex fuel tune and manage E30-E70 with the fuel system in the car, I will stay there. Port injection, Stage 3 fuel systems, and what not, get real expensive to run straight E85.

I don't think spool times with the N54 are that bad. But I know they improve with catless downpipes. That was the main reason I went with them. The extra power and turbo sounds out the tailpipes are pretty cool too though. haha

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
hXBrW0F.jpg

My neighbors 335i 6 speed sedan , his recent project . Think he got it at an auction . Not sure if he has the money to throw at it , but it sounds very nice .

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I've always loved the mkiv supras but hate the price lol. I was doing some research not long ago about how a "modern Supra" (BMW 335) compares with an mkiv. Someone mentioned that a 335 will spool quicker and accelerate faster in first gear than an mkiv which kinda surprised me since the mkiv's had that sequential turbo wizardry on them.

Would really love to drive a 6 speed 335 some day. Almost kinda sux that the 335's steal the limelight from the e90/e92 V8 M3's of the same era.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info