Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
c3fb80d5ec1ef3b4febea37bb75cdf62.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah I know that but is it worth the money to go to classes are they good trainers or are they just going to teach you stuff that really won't be applied on the job

I figured you knew that, I was explaining it to the eight other people that commented that had no idea what the hell you were talking about.

As far as the courses I have no idea. Seems like almost every other tech program out there... It'll help you get some good base knowledge, but, won't make you good at anything if you don't have it in you. I know as many UTI graduates part time at Auto Zone as I know guys that never went to a day of formal schooling maintaining fleets for United airlines and Dunbar armored...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I-Car is essentially ASE's for the collision repair industry.

Beat me to it.

As with any certification in any field it merely means that they passed a bunch of tests that someone says, yea, you can do body work and paint. And in today's vehicles which have 75 air bags, cross-path detection systems, auto-ranging, systems, etc, it means you can put them back together.

Not that this is a bad thing mind you, but I know a lot of older guys in the profession that could run circles around someone fresh out of i-car certification from actually doing it the majority of their life.

So I take it with a grain of salt.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yeah I know that but is it worth the money to go to classes are they good trainers or are they just going to teach you stuff that really won't be applied on the job

First, this process isn't an Auto-body class course where you start out with body 101, and work your way through semesters of hands on course work.

It's formed on the basis that you already know how to do collision repair, vehicle refinishing, and delivery back to the customer. It certifies that you, your shop and/or equipment (if applicable), meet industry basic standards and that if you do, and pay for this certification, it's one way to advertise to customers that you are a capable shop/collision expert.

You will most likely learn things along the way to help and or improve, but again, you should already know the basics.

It's like an Accountant. An Accountant knows GAAP accounting, debits, credits, how to make journal entries, do recs, and form a basic P&L/Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statement. But getting your CPA means you've mastered it, they've tested you, and that you have demonstrated to a governing board that you have those skills and ethics (I know, insert jokes here).

Or back in the automotive world, mechanics. A lot of us here can wrench on a car. But someone who is ASE certified has simply demonstrated that they learned automotive theory, have practiced it, have been tested in it and meet certain industry standards...

dartmorth

Apr 13, 2017
First, this process isn't an Auto-body class course where you start out with body 101, and work your way through semesters of hands on course work.

It's formed on the basis that you already know how to do collision repair, vehicle refinishing, and delivery back to the customer. It certifies that you, your shop and/or equipment (if applicable), meet industry basic standards and that if you do, and pay for this certification, it's one way to advertise to customers that you are a capable shop/collision expert.

You will most likely learn things along the way to help and or improve, but again, you should already know the basics.

It's like an Accountant. An Accountant knows GAAP accounting, debits, credits, how to make journal entries, do recs, and form a basic P&L/Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statement. But getting your CPA means you've mastered it, they've tested you, and that you have demonstrated to a governing board that you have those skills and ethics (I know, insert jokes here).

Or back in the automotive world, mechanics. A lot of us here can wrench on a car. But someone who is ASE certified has simply demonstrated that they learned automotive theory, have practiced it, have been tested in it and meet certain industry standards...
Thanks this was very helpfull

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info