Anyone with a 2011+ explorer or edge?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We are looking to replace my wife's Saturn aura. She likes the explorers, edges, and escapes. The escapes seem to be too small for us. I think the edge feels big enough, from the ones we have looked at. And I can only assume the explorer is bigger yet.

We are going to look at a 2013 explorer xlt tonight. Is there anything I should watch out for, or any complaints? I'm not finding much from Google searches...it appears as if they are mostly problem free.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We just picked up a 2017 Explorer XLT from [MENTION=4923]The Beast[/MENTION] and we love it. Since it's brand new, we haven't had any issues but I also don't know of any major problems for the newer Edge/Explorers.

Is there a ton of room in it? I'm 6'5", my wife is 6', and we have a newborn in a rear facing car seat. I would really not like to have my knees jammed up against the dash just to fit the car seat in.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Wife has a 2012 Edge limited, she wanted all the bells and whistles of a new vehicle + warranty but she bawked at paying 40+k for a new SUV.

We looked at the escapes first, they look decent sized on the outside but they are cramped inside and cargo room suffers. The explorer was the polar opposite, tons of room. Both rode nice and felt comfortable, I was set on the explorer but wife has to DD it and felt the Explorer was too big and she would hit shit driving it around.

The Edge was the happy medium, we went a few years older but with low miles and got the extended 100k bumper to bumper. Only 2 complaints with the Edge, first being the damn Sync system. It's a pile of garbage, phone rarely pics up calls and when it does the line is silent. Navigation takes longer to load than going to your destination (not joking or exaggerating). The second complaint is the tailgate, the glass is fixed so you can't put a 2x4 that's 10 feet long in the car close the tailgate and hang it through the window. That one isn't a huge deal but still annoying.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Wife has a 2012 Edge limited, she wanted all the bells and whistles of a new vehicle + warranty but she bawked at paying 40+k for a new SUV.

We looked at the escapes first, they look decent sized on the outside but they are cramped inside and cargo room suffers. The explorer was the polar opposite, tons of room. Both rode nice and felt comfortable, I was set on the explorer but wife has to DD it and felt the Explorer was too big and she would hit shit driving it around.

The Edge was the happy medium, we went a few years older but with low miles and got the extended 100k bumper to bumper. Only 2 complaints with the Edge, first being the damn Sync system. It's a pile of garbage, phone rarely pics up calls and when it does the line is silent. Navigation takes longer to load than going to your destination (not joking or exaggerating). The second complaint is the tailgate, the glass is fixed so you can't put a 2x4 that's 10 feet long in the car close the tailgate and hang it through the window. That one isn't a huge deal but still annoying.

I had a 2013 f150 with the sync touchscreen, so we both share and equal hate for that system. Lol.

Thanks for your reply.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
We have a 2014 Explorer Limited with just about 47k on it. My wife drives it most of the time. Just replaced the original Hankook tires because she hit a nasty pothole which damaged a tire and took a shock out with it.

Just last week, the module that controls the dual zone climate control went out. The passenger side blows outside air in all the time. We have an extended warranty so it's just got to go in for that one of these days. Otherwise, it looks like a pain in the ass to change on a Limited (easier on an XLT) and costs about $40 I believe if I was to DIY.

The front brakes were changed 5-6000 miles ago.

The SYNC system is absolute garbage. The newer models are better. Ours is just the 3.5 and it gets along fine...not quick, but adequate. For work, I drive an eco-boost version and it's night and day. It's surprisingly fast. You summon the turbo's and they definitely respond.

One more thing...the hoods are aluminum and can bubble at the leading edge. Our's was repainted under warranty. A relative's is badly bubbled, but she has 145k on her 2012.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
My parents own a 14 edge sport with the 3.7 engine and have never had a problem with it. From 11-14 I loved the edge sport as a demo and when they stopped making the 3.7 on the edge I have switched to the explorer sport and absolutely love them. By far the 16-17 looks the best to me with the led lighting on the front end and I have had many many explorers as demos and have never had any major problems with any of them that includes xlt, and limited, platinum and if u are not looking for the 3.5 eco boost the xlt and limited will do the job. if u don't need the third row seating i would go with an edge they are great vehicles.

3bd35c174221a3251b63ef147f33c851.jpg

If you look on apford.com we just took in a 14 loaded edge sport in black with only 14000 miles. You can pm me if u have any questions.

jbigalow

Help!
Apr 9, 2008
Anyone have a problem with exhaust leaking into the cabinet or the smell of raw fuel? my friend had a 2014 ecopoop and with around 50k on it he started smelling raw fuel in the car. it got so bad that he had to drive around with the windows down until he just gave up and traded it in. there is a TSB about it but no one can seem to fix the issue.

Is your Ford Explorer leaking exhaust? - CBS News

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like they are both solid vehicles and we can't go wrong with either.

We looked at both tonight. I was surprised that the explorer didn't really feel much bigger. As a matter of fact, it was harder for me to get in and out of. Do the pedals not move on explorers? To get my legs in and out, I had to squeeze my foot behind the brake pedal or my knee would hit the steering column and I couldn't get in or out. Didn't have that problem with the edge.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm 6'5" and I fit in just about everything. IDK what the problem is here... ?

giphy.gif

Thank you all for the responses. It sounds like they are both solid vehicles and we can't go wrong with either.

We looked at both tonight. I was surprised that the explorer didn't really feel much bigger. As a matter of fact, it was harder for me to get in and out of. Do the pedals not move on explorers? To get my legs in and out, I had to squeeze my foot behind the brake pedal or my knee would hit the steering column and I couldn't get in or out. Didn't have that problem with the edge.

:werd: i fit in the edge better than the explorer as well.
[MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION] isn't 6'5" on stilts, and [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] is only 6'2" if he has his fancy heels on that day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info