Emissions and registration..

silver86

Regular
TCG Premium
May 15, 2012
So my GTO has been sitting for a while now. I replaced the battery and know it isnt ready for emissions cause of the battery replacement. My registration is expired but need to pass emissions first. For it to pass emissions I would have to drive it until the system is ready.

What are my options here? Just drive it and explain if I get pulled over or is there something else I can do?

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
What I told them was I needed an extension on my stickers because I couldnt pass emissions and they were expired. Which is the truth. And so they say well how many days you want? I think it was 5 dollars a day or something like that. Bought an extension for a weeks worth. Got pulled over once during that week and the paper saved my ass. I also brought my failed emissions with just in case they needed proof I suck at life.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
you can legit hit the drive cycle pretty quickly in a gm.

just go drive it and do this.

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Running the cycle is really not bad. Techs have to do it sometimes with vehicles they are fixing to make sure everything is complete. 1 or 2 trips to work should do it.

Also I believe Illinois will let you have 1 or 2 monitors not run or be pending as long as the majority have passed.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Passing the drive cycle monitors isn't as easy as it sounds. I've had cars pass in 15 mins others have been days... I remember this one grand prix I had a evap problem with. Took about 100 miles...

Yes, you can have ONE monitor pending.. and still pass.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
you can legit hit the drive cycle pretty quickly in a gm.

just go drive it and do this.

This

this is not really easy to do

For most GM, Yes it is.

seriously?

ive done it in my GTP in under an hour :dunno:

i mean the directions are really straight forward...

Agreed. Last december I tried with 3 of my 6 I/M monitors set on the Suburban (I just had to do a repair). They (Illinois wants more than 50% evidently), failed me, and sent me on my way. 30 minutes later, I got it to run by driving it (like the cycle above) went back and passed. I would've done it with the T2, but I wanted them to set naturally.

yeah. just read through it again. it's really not that bad to do.

It is.

Running the cycle is really not bad. Techs have to do it sometimes with vehicles they are fixing to make sure everything is complete. 1 or 2 trips to work should do it.

Also I believe Illinois will let you have 1 or 2 monitors not run or be pending as long as the majority have passed.

It's a percentage of your total I think. Also as a former tech, we could get them to set in a service bay test with our Tech2's and following prompts given to us by it. No need to pull it out of the stall unless it was a specific test needing vehicle movement. For example, a common P0420, for slow HO2S response, you can do it in your garage with a Tech2. Turn on the low speed fans, follow the prompts for RPM increases, decreases, stabilization over a certain period of time, then cycle the shift lever out of park into drive, then reverse, back to drive, then to park (or something along those lines).

Passing the drive cycle monitors isn't as easy as it sounds. I've had cars pass in 15 mins others have been days... I remember this one grand prix I had a evap problem with. Took about 100 miles...

Yes, you can have ONE monitor pending.. and still pass.

Yes it is for GM.

As to the OP, just drive it (like the cycle posted above), and it will be quick. Not that big of a deal, go in, pass, register.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just went out to the Illinois EPA's website and got the lowdown on the readiness monitors. They've changed it;

Remember, vehicles are rejected when more than two (2) non-continuous readiness monitors are “not ready” for 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, or when more than one (1) non-continuous readiness monitor is “not ready” for 2001 and newer model year vehicles. Additionally, the catalyst monitor must be “ready” at the time of any retest after a vehicle failed an initial test for any catalyst code.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info