Pickup bed "build out" of my long bed GMC sierra

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So I've been collecting small things and what-not's to "build out" the bed of my truck.

You've probably seen some of these builds on FB or other social media places before and here are some examples of others and none of which necessarily what i'm aiming for:

this actually hides hot water and heat setup :rofl:

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

this is awesome too.

20160810_093753_zpsi5zunfuo.jpg

:rofl: :eek3:

20160906_121149_zpsxmsgd5yw.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjb5_sghEV/

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
so very different than all posted above.

I don't really think I need/want drawers.

Most of the pics posted, the trucks are 6 and a half foot beds or shorter. not to mention, potentially not as deep as the bed on my truck (heightwise? i dunno)

but my cap has a whole metric shit ton of storage on the drivers side from the nearly 7' long toolbox.

what the inside of my bed looks like:

L1U6zO2.jpg

what I want to hold/store/keep in there.

truckfridge
cooking stuff
stuff to and sleep in bed of truck if needed/wanted
some light recovery & safety equipment- which the toolbox holds plenty well.

my thought currently is fridge in upper right front corner of bed and opening the hatch for access. power will come from the truck's second isolated battery via the 5th wheel wiring provisions in between the truck and the cab.
ill have power to a fuse block with cigarette lighter inputs to begin. not going too crazy.

past that i want to "build out" underneath my existing toolbox to store my cooking shit, stove etc.

I want to be able to hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood without rearranging anything. not necessarily for moving lumber or things of that nature, but rather just have the ability for the truck to still have that much space & usefulness as a truck.

iIxbnmx.png

current fridge i have:

tf51_open.png

13 ¾"W x 20 ½"H x 23"L- which is perfect because my bed is like 98" long inside. so the fridge will use up 14" of that, which leaves me with 82". I'm 77" tall so enough room will remain for me to comfortably lay flat in the bed with the fridge in there.

mounting bracket for fridge, allows it to stay totally secure, but i can move it out/away if need be or desired.

tb_mb.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
wired/powered stuff i'm shooting for in the bed:

12v cigarette lighter style outlets
12v usb outlets
3rd battery
fridge connected to 12v cigarette lighter because the hardwire kit is expensive and my brain hurts searching more... and i dont want to cut my plug.
fridge also 120v plug ran somewhere accessible because it will automatically switch between 120 & 12 if both are present.
inverter for who knows what yet.
television with built in dvd i think

Last edited:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
the biggest reason i want to build just the drivers side is i read everyone saying that they wish they had gotten the tall-dick camper/truckshell's when they ordered theirs because they don't have enough headroom. i dont have much to keep "under" me and using the space under the existing toolbox, won't cost much in terms of space, especially since one of the best things i've got going, is a good amount of space.

i am not going to have a permanent bed/bedding set up inside the thing, but just the ability to, if desired, there and ready to go easily.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
are you planning on water tanks and on board air??

on board air is more likely than water tanks. since there are a lot of really solid write up and on board air solutions that exist already, i like that and so does my ocd. my thought with this would be to place a compressor & tank setup just beneath the drivers side toolbox, at the front of the bed. then have the hook up inside of the toolbox to get to the air which would be pretty simple right there, since the box is just metal.

as for water tanks, a lot of it seems to wind up rather thrown together, and that's not want i want. a 5 gallon jug or two should be plenty for a little while.

before onboard water, i'm really thinking of a "light":wink: solar setup. nothing extreme, but enough to keep batteries happyhappy and fridge cold.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

giphy.gif

I support your hillbilly adventures. This is cool because it's just with you all the time. Truck can still tow, you can empty the bed and use it, and it's not a one trick pony that sits parked except a couple times a year.

:bigthumb:
exactly. that's what im going for, campers & rvs are sweet but i want to be able to use this at a moment's notice... and still be able to pull whatever I want.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Your passenger side window opens all the way open right? So you can reach the fridge if you're not in the bed?

What's your sleeping area consist of? Mattress? Foam pad? I think that would determine how I'd do it. Cubbies that slid or tilted out towards sleeping area or a combo of a slider for that area and maybe tilt out shallow cubbies for stuff you'd want access to while being in the bed?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Your passenger side window opens all the way open right? So you can reach the fridge if you're not in the bed?

What's your sleeping area consist of? Mattress? Foam pad? I think that would determine how I'd do it. Cubbies that slid or tilted out towards sleeping area or a combo of a slider for that area and maybe tilt out shallow cubbies for stuff you'd want access to while being in the bed?

yep, passenger side window flips all the way up, that's how i came to the idea to put the fridge there. out of the way but still accessible from inside the truck, and outside of it, without sacrificing seating in the cab.

sleeping area- i haven't purchased anything yet, but im leaning towards foam mattress from amazon- one of the ones that expands. that way when im not using it i can fold it and attach it to the ceiling out of the way.

cubbies sound sweet, i hadn't thought of that route. i like that idea because it won't restrict what can be held "where" but still securely hold everything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info