Inexpensive tire brands??

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Kind of a loaded question.

Do you just want something round and can hold air? Do you want something decent, that is round holds air, and won't be a safety concern? Or do you want top notch performance and reliability? :D

Some of the cheaper brands at Discount Tire like Arizonian fit the bill. Sears brought back the Roadhandler tire, which is made by Hankook, and most usually have long tread life warranties.

Amongst the more popular brands, usually Yokohama, Continental, General, Uniroyal to name a few offer excellent tires and much cheaper cost than a Good Year or Michelin.

Keep in mind. A lot of the cost in tires, isn't the tire itself. It's the warranty. Part of the reason Michelin's are fairly costly. However, I have enjoyed having many Michelin's replaced at no charge or minimal charge to me because I paid more upfront for that warranty.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
my buddy runs Master Craft AXT?? IDK their rebranded Cooper AT3's he's on his 2nd set got about 60k out of the last ones and they wore great and handled well.

I have Kelly tires on the wife's equinox because that is what the dealership installed and I have 0 issue with them at all.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The new dw got good reviews. Right on pace with the pilot super sport.

Don't know how it compares with the brand new pilot 4 though.

I've have had the DW on the Caddy (as a summer tire) for a couple years now and it is a great tire. HOWEVER, I have noted that as they wear, they can get a little noisy. At first I thought it was a front wheel bearing problem (which is common on STS's), until I put my All Seasons back on (Which are Continental Extreme Contact DWS's), and it was whisper quiet.

As to the DWS's (I know you didn't talk about them), I've now had about 6 sets between several cars, including the most recent update DWS 06, and all have been stellar. I hated them at first because I thought they were ugly, but once I broke down years back after seeing all the favorable reviews, and purchased them, I haven't looked at anything else because nothing for the price matches them.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
my buddy runs Master Craft AXT?? IDK their rebranded Cooper AT3's he's on his 2nd set got about 60k out of the last ones and they wore great and handled well.

I have Kelly tires on the wife's equinox because that is what the dealership installed and I have 0 issue with them at all.

x2 on mastercraft stuff. for normal everyday use they're great riding and long lasting especially for a cheaper tire.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I've used General tires a lot for DD applications and they work great. Good quality and affordable pricing. I'm pretty sure General Tire is a division of Continental.

I'm also a big fan of Continental. I have DWs on my Mustang. I wouldn't call them cheap, but they are more affordable than Michelin, Goodyear, or Pirelli.

The new dw got good reviews. Right on pace with the pilot super sport.

Don't know how it compares with the brand new pilot 4 though.

Yup, the Conti ExtremeContact Sport. I just picked up a set in 265/35/18 for the Skyrine. Supposed to hold up to track duty better also. New wheels from Japan won't be here for a couple more weeks, but should have a real world review for you in the next month or two. But yeah the new Pilot Sport 4S (the new PSS) is supposed to be fantastic, as expected. I would imagine it'll slightly best the Conti Sport, just like the PSS slightly bested the Conti DW. But at a premium of about $25-45 more per tire depending on size.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
The Barum Bravuris 3 is made by Continental, and sold by DiscountTireDirect.com. It gets good reviews, and with free shipping and no tax at $77/tire should meet your cost requirements. I don't know that it would work well in winter, but you didn't mention if that was a consideration.

Link to tire:

Discount Tire Direct

Take a look at Nankang too, I put a set on my old GTI a few years back for $64 ea. and I got 40,000 miles out of them, they were quiet, and wore well, but NO GOOD in snow.
I live in Chicago so snow is definitely a consideration..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info