Forum Register Members Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > Automotive Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree28Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #26
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86,289
Casino cash: $128079000
19.70 per day
Default

yeah, i can't get into that at all. it looks dated, and it kind of is now, cuz the body has been out since what? 11?

not to mention it's probably because whenever i see one i go OH FUCK IS THAT A COP



but yeah, looks, subjective, and im weird.
__________________
01 525i
01 turbo pricks
13 gas 3500hd cclb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
TCG: We pull vanity fair models in our F150ís because Teslaís are unsafe.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86,289
Casino cash: $128079000
19.70 per day
Default

hey @Jeffs FRC, ecoboost expedition is too big i'd assume?

47k sticker i feel like you can get pretty close to a pretty well equipped expedition.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
 
TCG Member 5219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,450
Casino cash: $51139698
2.41 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
yeah, i can't get into that at all. it looks dated, and it kind of is now, cuz the body has been out since what? 11?

not to mention it's probably because whenever i see one i go OH FUCK IS THAT A COP



but yeah, looks, subjective, and im weird.
They got the update on the grilles and lights front and back in 2016 I think. Ours is all LED everything and it looks awesome at night.
TCG Member 5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #29
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86,289
Casino cash: $128079000
19.70 per day
Default

Yeah, I get that.

I totally understand people don't like the flex, but again, i love em



they HAVE to be the right style/colors & wheels though.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
 
Blownbyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,586
Casino cash: $651048
0.64 per day
Default

Honestly they both look great! I dont think you can really go wrong with either one.
Yaj Yak likes this.
Blownbyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
 
jason05gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Garfield Park
Posts: 12,699
Casino cash: $45931040
2.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
yeah, i can't get into that at all. it looks dated, and it kind of is now, cuz the body has been out since what? 11?

not to mention it's probably because whenever i see one i go OH FUCK IS THAT A COP



but yeah, looks, subjective, and im weird.
Ford is working on a new Explorer. I think it's coming out later this year. I agree that the current Gen is long in tooth.
jason05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #32
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,580
Casino cash: $108305000
1.78 per day
Default

I mean...for ~$500 worth of tuning you're over 400 bhp and run 13's. For anyone who values quick cars/trucks and is open to slight mods...its really a no brainer.
__________________
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
2002 Mustang GT
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,580
Casino cash: $108305000
1.78 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason05gt View Post
Ford is working on a new Explorer. I think it's coming out later this year. I agree that the current Gen is long in tooth.
They called me in for a survey where they had all the newer SUV's (debadged) and the new Explorer (also debadged). Got paid $250 to fill out surveys on SUV's for 2 hours.

Looked unreal and the interior was a full overhaul.
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #34
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86,289
Casino cash: $128079000
19.70 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post
I mean...for ~$500 worth of tuning you're over 400 bhp and run 13's. For anyone who values quick cars/trucks and is open to slight mods...its really a no brainer.
i dont really think the OP or the majority of the people buying these, care about that aspect.

14 second quarter mile times are plenty to get most wives/moms in trouble with the PO-lice easily enough.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,408
Casino cash: $29114000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thSVT_03 View Post
They're very similar but my deciding factor on the Explorer is easy. I've seen them both in crashes and the Explorer wins all day long. The Jeep doesn't do well in front or rear collisions that I've seen. I feel it's a safer vehicle. Just my .02
Do you have an Explorer Sport currently? No problems or concerns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
having driven and ridden in both, i'd go GC in a heartbeat if i didn't need the third row.
Definitely don't need the third row, but the bigger cargo area is a plus on the Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
We got a 2017 explorer XLT with the little ecoboost. Its a blast to drive. I've never driven the Jeep GC, but Im sure its nice. The explorer has been great over this last winter. Snow driving was easy with the AWD. It seats our family of 5 very well. Two adults and three under 7. We put our younger boys in the middle row, and our 7yo daughter in the way back. We load her through the tailgate because its easier than trying to fold down the middle seats to get her back there. Mainly because we have car seats in the middle row. But other than that, its been great. No issues really. Gets great mpg, and feels quick when you want it. Our little ecoboost explorer is also a highway monster. For some reason when you roll on it from 60, it simply rockets to 100 with almost no effort. Its quite surprising. I can only imagine what the big ecoboost feels like with all that extra hp for activities.

I say get what makes your eyes happy. Both are great SUVs.
Thanks for the input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post
Jeff...stop acting like money matters to a union guy like yourself. Buy the damn Explorer Sport, throw on a tune, and have a 13 second SUV.

It performs better, is safer, and looks better than the Jeep.

We've been nothing but happy with ours and have had no issues. Resale on the Explorer Sport seems to be pretty solid from what I've seen. I'd definitely recommend the bucket seats in the second row also.
What kind of mpg's are you getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason05gt View Post
I looked at both of these vehicles and it's a tough choice. I'd venture towards the Explorer as I am skeptical of FCA's quality. I liked the GC Overland that we test drove and the interior is very nice, but there's definite cost cutting in certain areas. The Explorer Sport is quicker, but in my opinion the chassis and brakes felt kind of numb. The Jeep has a more Germanic feel to it, which I am sure dates back to the Mercedes partnership.

Another option-If you don't need a third row, look at the Ford Edge Sport. It's a newer platform, has a nicer interior, and performs better.
Agree totally with you. I bought a Dakota RT new in 01 and a Grand Cherokee in 05. Both were complete piles of shit. I'm sure they've come a long way, but I'm still weary of Chrysler quality.

The Edge might be a touch smaller than I'd like, but yea I guess we should drive one. Anyone know what an Edge Sport can tow? I don't tow very much, but definitely need something capable of about 5k lbs or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
flex isn't an option OP?
Lol, wife saw one on the way there and called it a Ford rectangle. She's not a fan...
Yaj Yak likes this.
__________________
'15 Mustang GT
'17 Exploder Sport
'09 HD Street Glide
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #36
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,580
Casino cash: $108305000
1.78 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
i dont really think the OP or the majority of the people buying these, care about that aspect.

14 second quarter mile times are plenty to get most wives/moms in trouble with the PO-lice easily enough.
Right...but we're on a car forum where just about everyone has modified their cars/trucks. Probably safe on a car forum to say that aspect should be taken into account. Nothing majority about this place.
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #37
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 86,289
Casino cash: $128079000
19.70 per day
Default

WAIT HOLY FUCK THIS IS A CAR FORUM

IVE BEEN WRONG ALL ALONG

I THOUGHT WE JUST CRITICIZED POINTY ELBOWS, BRAGGED ABOUT 401K'S AND MILLION DOLLARS IN THE BANK, AND PRAISED TRUMP.


FUCK I'VE HAD IT ALL WRONG.





as i said. OP & majority. and my statement still holds true.
IZZy, Bub and ragingclue like this.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #38
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,580
Casino cash: $108305000
1.78 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
What kind of mpg's are you getting?
We're at ~18MPG with probably 80% city driving, and my wife driving it 95% of the time.

Ours is stock...untuned.
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #39
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,408
Casino cash: $29114000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
solid guesstimate.

best looking one of this thread though, between the GC altitude, exploder & flex though, would go to the GC.

they are fucking awesome looking imo

That's the exact color and model we want. Looks amazing imo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
looks totally aside, i can't get around how small the explorer is inside for how big it is outside.

that's where i really feel the flex shines.
The Explorer felt a bit more roomy than the GC to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
hey @Jeffs FRC, ecoboost expedition is too big i'd assume?

47k sticker i feel like you can get pretty close to a pretty well equipped expedition.
Yea that's a bit large for what we need. I thought those were at least 60kish too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
They got the update on the grilles and lights front and back in 2016 I think. Ours is all LED everything and it looks awesome at night.
Yep the Sport has led lighting all around. Looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post
I mean...for ~$500 worth of tuning you're over 400 bhp and run 13's. For anyone who values quick cars/trucks and is open to slight mods...its really a no brainer.
I'm not sure it's real important to have a 13 second suv, but it definitely is a plus! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post
They called me in for a survey where they had all the newer SUV's (debadged) and the new Explorer (also debadged). Got paid $250 to fill out surveys on SUV's for 2 hours.

Looked unreal and the interior was a full overhaul.
Wait, the new Explorer is coming out next year? Details!? Should I wait?
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #40
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,580
Casino cash: $108305000
1.78 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
Wait, the new Explorer is coming out next year? Details!? Should I wait?
I'm not sure what year it comes out, and don't know anything more other than what it looks like. It looks awesome!
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #41
 
JeffsLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: House of Power
Posts: 1,922
Casino cash: $19747100
0.35 per day
Default

Maybe an option. Durango RT AWD
Yaj Yak and Blood on Blood like this.
JeffsLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #42
 
jason05gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Garfield Park
Posts: 12,699
Casino cash: $45931040
2.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
The Edge might be a touch smaller than I'd like, but yea I guess we should drive one. Anyone know what an Edge Sport can tow? I don't tow very much, but definitely need something capable of about 5k lbs or more
Edge Sport can tow 3,500, but Ford doesn't offer a factory hitch (aftermarket available)....So that doesn't work for you.
jason05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #43
rumble baby rumble
 
Blood on Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 35,517
Casino cash: $110989300
6.89 per day
Default

Explorer Sport
__________________
Dave
17 Mustang GT
17 Pilot AWD
15 Elantra
Blood on Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #44
Oh Hai
 
Grabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 3,464
Casino cash: $29105100
0.83 per day
Default

Jefe!!!!

Sport is a decent looking "car" for sure. The tow rating on the Sport is about 5,000LBS from what the interwebz shows.

They look big on the outside, but, feel very small inside. Not to mention, driving one feels like a large sedan, not an SUV. Suppose that is the suspension and such.

What are you looking to get out of an SUV?

Durango would be a great choice if you want something decently quick for such a large SUV with a high towing capacity and tons of interior room. Not sure what your price range is, though.

Expedition is another good option with the ecoboost in it.
__________________
2016 Durango R/T AWD - Billet Silver
2014 Track Pack GT - - Gone
2005 Blown 3V (Gone)
2004 CO Mach 1 (Slow as balls) (Gone)

2003 TR 10th Anni. Cobra (Gone )

Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #45
 
utryd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Aurora
Posts: 4,197
Casino cash: $14191000
1.16 per day
Default

I have the same jeep you are looking at but in black. Girlfriend has 14 explorer sport. I use mine for work and a daily and put a lot of miles on. Long term I think you'd be happier with the Ford. It's a little bigger, to me the Ford is a good amount quicker, and resale I believe is better on the Ford. I only went with the jeep cuz I got lifetime bumper to bumper warranty due to me driving 5k miles a month.

Also unless they changed it you could get an altitude in the limited trim if you wanted a hemi. About 10k more
__________________
utryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #46
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,044
Casino cash: $5267798
1.26 per day
Default

You should get a honda ridgeline
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #47
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,408
Casino cash: $29114000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
Jefe!!!!

Sport is a decent looking "car" for sure. The tow rating on the Sport is about 5,000LBS from what the interwebz shows.

They look big on the outside, but, feel very small inside. Not to mention, driving one feels like a large sedan, not an SUV. Suppose that is the suspension and such.

What are you looking to get out of an SUV?

Durango would be a great choice if you want something decently quick for such a large SUV with a high towing capacity and tons of interior room. Not sure what your price range is, though.

Expedition is another good option with the ecoboost in it.
Sup Chris! People keep saying the Exploder is small inside, but I swear it's more roomy than the GC. The Explorer rides much more like a smooth car and the Cherokee is definitely truck like. Pretty sure the Explorer is unibody and GC is body on frame so that would explain the difference in ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utryd2 View Post
I have the same jeep you are looking at but in black. Girlfriend has 14 explorer sport. I use mine for work and a daily and put a lot of miles on. Long term I think you'd be happier with the Ford. It's a little bigger, to me the Ford is a good amount quicker, and resale I believe is better on the Ford. I only went with the jeep cuz I got lifetime bumper to bumper warranty due to me driving 5k miles a month.

Also unless they changed it you could get an altitude in the limited trim if you wanted a hemi. About 10k more
How has your GC and your girlfriends Explorer been as far as reliability?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
You should get a honda ridgeline
Not cool man, not cool at all.
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #48
 
utryd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Aurora
Posts: 4,197
Casino cash: $14191000
1.16 per day
Default

Both have been good as far as reliability. No issues yet for either.
utryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #49
Bru
Super Moderator
 
Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36,704
Casino cash: $2147483647
8.38 per day
Default Opinions on Explorer Sport vs Jeep GC Altitude

If you need a third row, get the Explorer. If you don't, get the GC. More refined to drive, front legroom is better (if you need it) and it's less suffocating to drive (blind spots and general clutter of the front console that makes it [Explorer] feel small).
Yaj Yak and Omicron like this.
__________________
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #50
 
0GBlown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 122
Casino cash: $5726100
0.04 per day
Default

i was looking at a 75th or Altitude GC too but the only option i need is the BSD and rear cross traffic for the lady but your forced to buy up to limited model just to have that option available. So much for available safety features on all trims
__________________
z34 Centricharged
0GBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts