Going from 35 series tire to 40

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I know the sidewall and overall diameter will increase, but will jumping from a 35 to a 40 have any negative effects? I run 265/35/18 on the rear in my GTO, and 235/40/18 up front, and right now it seems tire rack is having a closeout sale on some hankook ventus rs-3 tires and the closest size they have is 265/40/18 for $80.47 per friggin tire. I am in need of some new rears and the price is almost too good to pass up. But i never know all the different effects running weird sizes can do.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I tried searching that size tire on gto's and get mixed opinions. Most seem to try and fit it on stock 18's which seem only 8" wide so that's where most complain. I think maybe it'll actually fit under the car though since you've got different wheels and already that width of tire.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
How much smaller are the gto fender wells compared to a 4th gen? 235 seems tiny to me, unless they are only an 8"

235 are the fronts. In the rear depending on the rim/tire 275 has always seemed to be about the max without having to modify anything. And even thats close, which is why ive just always stuck with the 265s. Its more than enough tire for my setup.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
width wise I feel like id be OK w/ 265s, I know some manufacturers specs are different, but im already running a hankook ventus evo 265 just fine. Like Joel mentioned tho stepping up from a 35 to 40 would increase the overall diameter of the tire by an inch, which COULD cause a problem, but when I did my pedders springs way back in the day I chose a rear spring that actually lifted the rear up, specifically to avoid issues like this :rofl: so id PROBABLY be OK there as well, if I did decide to go w/ a 40 tire. Which I cant now. Since they're gone. :rofl: Guess its back to spinning on cold pavement w/ my balding evos.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I know the sidewall and overall diameter will increase, but will jumping from a 35 to a 40 have any negative effects? I run 265/35/18 on the rear in my GTO, and 235/40/18 up front, and right now it seems tire rack is having a closeout sale on some hankook ventus rs-3 tires and the closest size they have is 265/40/18 for $80.47 per friggin tire. I am in need of some new rears and the price is almost too good to pass up. But i never know all the different effects running weird sizes can do.

As long as all 4 tires are the same, or at least the the left and right being the same size tires, I don't see any issues other that maybe some rubbing if there isn't enough room, and maybe speedo errors.

Cheapo performance tire would still be the Nitto NT05. Still a pretty solid tire for the money. But road noise as they wear could become a bother.

Otherwise for non-track cars, I would rock the Pilot SuperSports all day long. The Pilot 4 S is replacing the MPSS tires. So MPSS should start appearing on the close-outs.

I'm occasionally keeping an eye on the PSS tires because if they hit close-out prices I'll buy a set just keep around for the RS.

For the GTA due to the fat size GM equipped on the rims, 275/40/17's, I don't have many tire choices in that size. So its either Nitto NT05's or Falken 615's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info