Tesla's AutoPilot Update Already Preventing Accidents

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
https://electrek.co/2016/12/14/tesla-radar-technology-autopilot-saving-owners-accidents/

If you don't follow Tesla you might not know but they upgraded software on the existing Autopilot cars to give the radar equal weight in decision making as the camera. There's a long post I made about it but basically they were able to get higher resolution data from the radar thanks to Bosch supplying new drivers and combined with crowd sourcing data from the roads (the cars all report false positives back to Tesla who then geo-fences them and marks them) they were able to vastly improve the system.

One of the benefits was that now instead of seeing the car in front of you, Autopilot can also see the car in front of that one by bouncing the radar under the car in front of you. So in theory the car in front of you might not see that the car in front of them is completely stopped and your car will respond to the stopped car two cars up while the car in front of you never sees it and barrels into it.

I've had this happen in practice too, though not at speed. A few times on the expressway in moderate speed traffic (20mph) I've had the car in front of me not see the car in front of it slowing down but Autopilot started braking my car. It's neat tech and this system probably isn't even a fraction as nice as the eight camera setup they're shipping in cars now.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
And if you haven't seen the AutoPilot 2.0 system all current cars are shipping with, here's that. Full level 5 autonomy. That's no driver required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUw_DMaQ264

it's probably somewhat old tech (although more advanced now?) but one of the things i'm most impressed with - mostly because i'm a tech guy but this is practically magic to me as i don't really know how it works - is identifying objects in an image ie. this is car, this is a person, this is in my way, etc.

this looks like a crappy day but what i'd find more interesting in a video are not the petering around town things but the more adverse situations.

what does this thing do when it's pouring?
what's it do when there is ice on the ground?
everything is covered in snow?
car coming from the side runs a red light?
ball pops out into the street?
dog?
kid?

etc. those would be a lot more interesting videos and tests to see!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ya this is light years ahead of the rest, meanwhile my Audi may brake check me when a car in front of me is slowing down to turn and my speed is outside their threshold where they think I'm not paying attention, but really I'm just a pro race car driver ready to go around said car

My BMW used to do that too. It's really disconcerting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info