Sport Truck Tires (Size/brand/compound/etc)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So with the Ranger moving along, I'm chewing on some ideas about what kind of rubber to put on it.

Its currently on some sad steel 15X7's that have good tires, but the rims are rusty and ugly.

(These guys):

98_Ranger_rim6.JPG

I also have a set of 4 Explorer 16X7's, which aren't in awful shape, but the tires are very old:

98_Ranger_rim3.JPG

But more importantly, I have my mustang OEM 18X8's:

The Explorer drive line combo normally sits on a 28 inch tire with 3.73's, but that's also normally with the 4R70W Automatic transmission.

Regardless of gearing, Stance/Appearance wise, a 28 inch tire on a ranger with a 2/3 drop is excellent in my opinion (My old truck):

So that all being said; what tire should I buy for my 18X8 Mustang wheels to put on the truck? I'm thinking 245/50/18's or 255/50/18's, both of which have some weird tire options because its a size more common with Cross-overs/SUV's.

Any thoughts/experience with these sizes of rubber and their options?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
A 28" tall car tire is going to be hard to find. I got some conti dw's in a 27" tall size (285/40/18).

The only tall car tire I've seen is the nitto nt05 in a 295/45/18 but that's not going to work on those

will 285 fit on an 8 inch width rim? I'm sure it would be fine in the back, but may be pushing it width wise on the front, I'm going to likely have to run a 1" spacer to begin with.

The general grabber uhp comes in a 29" tall tire and is a summer SUV tire

I think I'd rather go a bit shorter than taller, a 29 on a lowered ranger may be pushing it (I know its only an inch bigger, but I may have rubbing issues under suspension load with that height).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Dasfinc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list