DRW RAM 3500 dyno results

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The stock RAM 3500 with the "Aisin 69" trans is rated at 385hp/900tq @ the flywheel. As a 8,913lb truck, that might not sound like much, but it definitely gets the job done with a load hooked up. Pulling a trailer, it really drives great and pulls with ease. With the certified max load coming in at 31,210lb - pulling my probably 7k sled trailer is like pulling nothing at all.

However, one can safely say that with the truck unloaded the optional Aisin 69 trans coupled with 4.10 gears leaves 1st gear boost free as it doesn't load the turbo enough to spin it up, and then progressively makes more power as your progress through the gears. On the street, this leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to the seat of the pants feeling the truck leaves you with.

Which leaves you at the beginning of my story. I drove the truck for about 1000mi before I began researching tuning shops in the area which could work with this platform and quickly ended up speaking with Jim Rendant @ Calibrated Power Solutions to meet my tuning needs. I did the classic diesel bro question to open the conversation, "Jim, tell me what you guys do to delete and tune these trucks!" To my surprise, I was quickly shot down. Rather, Jim suggested that I enjoy the quiet diesel power he could provide through a "clean tune" that retained all the OEM emissions equipment. He then sold me on a new tuning platform (to CPS) called the Smarty MM3, which unlocks the ECU while also allows delivery of the tune files and serves as a monitoring device after the tuning has been completed. It matches nicely with the stock cluster and lighting, IMO:

4UMCz8Q.jpg

Best part of the Smarty platform is the monitoring capability paired with the EGT sensor.

After extensive tuning work was done both on the street and on the dyno, the dyno charts started to flow to me from Jim. Thankfully, the truck fits on the dyno:

koMTZgN.jpg

Stock baseline values came in first:

nGbDJwL.jpg

Followed by three tune files that are able to be switched between in real time:

wihmhbA.jpg

Of course I had to say that I would have really liked to see over 1k torque... :rofl:

So Jim opened up the RPM range on the graph a bit to show me that it actually makes 1067ftlb at around 1800RPM!

L9wsNMJ.jpg

The gas pedal feel is much improved as well. I no longer have to give the pedal a solid push to 3/4 throttle to get moving. Really makes a huge difference in the truck, IMO. Anyone that has driven a stock 13+ Cummins knows what I'm talking about! Dead pedal totally gone.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results given nothing more than a tune was applied to the truck. CPS kept the tunes VERY mild on this go around, because the Aisin trans still hasn't been unlocked, so they cannot tune it yet. Once that becomes available, the truck WILL be going back in for additional tweaking and will probably make some more power once that's done. :run:

Last edited:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Well, that didn't take long. #eaglestacks
:rofl: :h5:
I bet that made a nice difference on the butt dyno
Sure did!
1076 ft. lbs. has to be at 2800 , correct ?
Nah, the red line is the torque number. It's way over on the left, like off the line/chart. In that red hump section.
Awesome and you said you'd probably never use those hooks :rofl:
At least we found something to do with them! :rofl: And that's WITH the light bar mounted! They didn't fall off or move the bumper either. #winning

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Eagle, how is the mpg on this beast?
Not too sure yet. Can't keep my foot out of it.
Very nice :bigthumb: So being a clean tune with all emissions equipment will this pour black smoke out of the exhaust? And will you go through DEF more quickly on the high-end tune?
Not a single black particle has come from the tailpipe. Kinda weird if you ask me. I'm at about 2700mi and the truck is at a half tank of DEF. Reportedly it will consume more DEF on the hotter tunes though.
oh gurl... damn

what is the max towing cap without a 5th wheel?
18k i believe? 2.5" receiver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info