Another thread about car buying.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
My roommate is looking at getting a new car and he's looking at two options. A 2017 wrx limited and a 2017 Focus RS. Checked out both and he is leaning towards the Focus. The Dealership has about a 4-5K mark up on both cars in stock. Looked on the other side of the mountain, and the mark up is even higher. Who pays 72k for a focus? :wtf:

Anyway, he's probably going to go for the wrx, but I figured I'd try to work some magic. Any tips on working with the dealership with getting rid of the mark up?

Any other recommendations for AWD hatchbacks? (Yes I know the 17 wrx isn't a hatch, he may get a used one.)

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Have you tried looking in LA? I just did a quick look and see a bunch of RS's for MSRP and a few for slightly under.

I also saw the one they're trying to push for 72k. I'd be putting them on blast on Yelp. That's just so stupid.

I've only gone as far as the Bay Area. I definitely know I could find something cheaper for him if I looked around. I thought I'd at least try my luck first with the local dealership before looking 4+ hours away. I wouldn't mind a weekend trip down to LA.

not a fucking chance in hell id pay over retail for say groceries or clothes or anything else retail why people pay ADM for vehicles blows my mind. it goes 100% to the stealership.

Being in sales, I don't even like paying retail for anything if I can avoid it. :rofl:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Being in sales, I don't even like paying retail for anything if I can avoid it. :rofl:

this is modding cars rule #1 thou shall never pay full price for parts :s00ls:

getting an itchy clicker finger i want a paxton/vortech supercharger for my mustang but holding out for black friday sales and really really trying to find a free install deal.

ive seen them before on forums now i just need to score one.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Update: they refused to budge on markup and said they'd refuse service if we bought one elsewhere. Called a few other dealers that priced theirs at msrp, and found that the online price doesn't reflect their mark ups. Cheapest I found was ~5k.

Off to the Subaru dealership.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Have you tried looking in LA? I just did a quick look and see a bunch of RS's for MSRP and a few for slightly under.

I also saw the one they're trying to push for 72k. I'd be putting them on blast on Yelp. That's just so stupid.

Many of those dealer ads are turning out to be bait and switch on the Focus RS forums. Not saying the ones you looked at are doing it. Its just that people who register on the boards are reporting that some dealers are putting the cars out there on the website, then adding in the ADM when people finally get into the showroom.

Which would piss me off enough to walk out immediately, blast Yelp, and never return.

White Focus RS @ MSRP? Friend should buy it from John and give no worries about the transport fee. I assume the Rebel's friend is in CA like he is.

Though I would be somewhat sad as I only ever see Stealth Grey or Nitrous Blue RS's around here.

I'm still surprised that Stealth Grey turned out to be such a popular color. It thought I'd be in the minority.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I have a white focus rs coming in any day now he can pay msrp. Pm me if u are interested

I'll let him know. He's not into doing work himself, so the fact that the local dealership, may or may not service his car might be a big turn off. Next closest dealer is 2 hours away.

You were the first dealer to pop into my head though that I knew would offer a fair price! :bigthumb:

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Many of those dealer ads are turning out to be bait and switch on the Focus RS forums. Not saying the ones you looked at are doing it. It's just that people who register on the boards are reporting that some dealers are putting the cars out there on the website, then adding in the ADM when people finally get into the showroom.

Which would piss me off enough to walk out immediately, blast Yelp, and never return.

Yep, basically what happened when I called these guy out on their ADM. I had a list of 2 dealerships advertising msrp and one slightly below. Sales manager proceeded to call each dealer and they admitted to not listing ADM online. Offered to do dealer trades but I declined.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Galpin Ford in CA is the largest Ford dealer and i've heard they were selling RS's for sticker. They have one in stock, if so, fly over there and drive it back hitting as many twisty roads as you can. It'd be an adventure of a lifetime!!

2016 Ford Focus Los Angeles, CA - Galpin Ford

Galpin is terrible.

You'll discover that right off the bat when you sign your paperwork and notice you're being charged $400 for a LoJack device you didn't ask for and can't remove.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Update: they refused to budge on markup and said they'd refuse service if we bought one elsewhere. Called a few other dealers that priced theirs at msrp, and found that the online price doesn't reflect their mark ups. Cheapest I found was ~5k.

Off to the Subaru dealership.

buy at msrp from beast, ship to CA, take to what ever dealer you want for service. say you just moved here. if they refuse you, blast ford coprorate till heads roll!

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I've heard of this in small town dealers and someone in town drives an hour or two to get a better price on the sale of the vehicle they bought. So the in town dealer refuses service work and makes them drive all the way back to the other dealer that is far away. [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION]

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've heard of this in small town dealers and someone in town drives an hour or two to get a better price on the sale of the vehicle they bought. So the in town dealer refuses service work and makes them drive all the way back to the other dealer that is far away. [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION]

Thats friggen nuts!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info