Road Rash Repair

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
Hey all,

I have some road rash on my front bumper and hood. The hood was marvelously fixed with Dr Colorchip (other than two chips that nicked the clearcoat).

The bumper however, although you can really "see" the road rash anymore, you can feel the unevenness.

I'm wondering, are there any "mobile" detailers or shops out there that can buff out and polish the "rough to the touch" road rash? The color is all matched and covered with Dr. Colorchip, I guess I just want a smoother surface. Thinking some clearcoat and a good buff will even things out for me, and I would prefer to have someone do it for me in my garage.

Any leads?

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
pictures of the "damage ?"

I'll try to take some different pictures in different lighting. Because of the finish of the car, it's really hard to tell on a camera. If you look in person, you can definitely tell however due to the differences in depth.

I could keep applying additional coats of Dr Colorchip but it's exhausting to do.

Basically what I'm trying to do is get the bumper smooth enough to the point that I can apply clearwrap. I know I can just get the bumper repainted, but I want to maintain OEM paint.

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
Hey all,

I have some road rash on my front bumper and hood. The hood was marvelously fixed with Dr Colorchip (other than two chips that nicked the clearcoat).

The bumper however, although you can really "see" the road rash anymore, you can feel the unevenness.

I'm wondering, are there any "mobile" detailers or shops out there that can buff out and polish the "rough to the touch" road rash? The color is all matched and covered with Dr. Colorchip, I guess I just want a smoother surface. Thinking some clearcoat and a good buff will even things out for me, and I would prefer to have someone do it for me in my garage.

Any leads?

call CARNICA.they are in desplaines on oakton just west of river road.or take the car there.they do lot's of touch up work for dealers.seen them at porsche and audi exchange in highland park.

Pictures would help but from what I think you're describing it sounds like some of the actual bumper plastic is gouged. If so buffing wouldn't really help level it. It would have to be filled and repainted. But again get us some pics. I'm not a fan of Carnica as it never really looks that good. I guess it depends who does it but when I worked for BMW they're work used to make me squirm when I saw the "finished" product.

cayman981

Oct 18, 2016
Glencoe
Finally found some good lighting to take pictures!

There's very minimal (if any) gouging. It's really just road rash. Small bits of chipped paint and/or clear coat.

You can't see them at all indoors.

phjB85Z

http://imgur.com/phjB85Z

I got these on the bumper, a bit on the hood and by the rear wheels. Repainting is not an option as I'd like to keep oem paint.

If any of you all are Doctor Colorchip experts, let me know and we can work something out as I'm sure others can do a much better job than me!

I'm guessing then detailing won't help with these? Any other suggestions?

Putting a clear film on it would come out horrendously I'm guessing with all of the chips already?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info