Waterbox usage vary by track?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I noticed yesterday that GLD uses the water box much differently than Byron.

At Byron (for those that don’t know), they have you pull around the water box, dip your rear wheels, pull out of the box, and then do your burn-out

At GLD, everyone (using the box), pulls both front/back wheels through the water. Then they do a burn-out while in and exiting the water box. I would have thought that track management would frown upon this practice as the front wheels would bring water into the staging area. I prefer Byron’s method of someone guiding you back into the box and then pulling out for the burn-out. What are everyone else’s thoughts?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
For cars with skinnies it does not matter as much. If you are running a full size tire in the front I would say that's bad track etiquette.

Personally I do not like GLD's burn out box setup. For some reason I struggled getting the tires warm and spinning on their uphill box. I do not know why. I have zero problems at any other track I have been to.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Personally I do not like GLD's burn out box setup. For some reason I struggled getting the tires warm and spinning on their uphill box. I do not know why. I have zero problems at any other track I have been to.

I have always hated the pot holes/bump at GLD's box. I always drive around it and back in regardless the tires that I am on.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
So then do you do spin the tires in the box and then keep spinning all the way until you're out of the box? That is the only thing I didn't really get down while practicing in the rain last night. I should have practiced the scenario of slowly getting out of the water box while still spinning the tires. I don't want to drive through the water box with wet rear tires, I'm sure they'll grill me if I do.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
A lot of people don't think you need to do a burnout with street tires but when we're talking about summer tires they still need heat to work. I back into the box a little, roll just outside the box (they'll instruct you how far) and then light em up. I'll haze them close to the line so they don't lose too much heat from box to staging.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
You back in about halfway through the box then pull up till your on the front edge, I do a 1-2 shift while spinning and hold it at 4500-5k till the smoke starts to pour off, put the pedal to the floor then let off the brakes and ride it out for 15-20 feet, I just let off at that point some people ride it out till it hooks, for cleaning street tires id probably dip the tires then pull up on dry ground and do the burnout for a few seconds, if you don't need water to help spin the tires I probably wouldn't even use it just spin them on dry ground

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
The things is that I got yelled at last year for spinning outside the water box. Maybe I was up too far, but the guy said they'd boot me if I did it again. It's not like I was anywhere near being staged. I don't remember being that much in front of the box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info