Cryogenic Treated Rotors

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Are these B.S. or are they actually an improvement to prevent "warping"? Everything I have read online is just anecdotal crap without any real evidence. People say they reduce warping and extend rotor life, but I thought "warped" rotors weren't actually warped. They just had a buildup of brake pad material unevenly distributed on them causing the vibrations.

Only reason I ask is this Tundra has a TSB out for the brakes. After looking into it, it seems like Toyota feels the brakes get too hot causing the "braking wobble" issue. Therefore they came out with a new backing plate with a few extra vents cut into it to increase airflow (I am just drilling some strategic holes in mine when I do the brake job before I pay like $120 per backing plate). To me, it would seem that a better brake pad material and decent blanks would fix the issue. Thoughts? Would cryogenic rotors even do anything for this situation?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Isn't one of the primary reasons for rotor warping uneven torque on the lug nuts?

In any case, I tried cryo rotors for one season of on-track racing and they definitely did last longer. I never had warping issues with any kind of rotor though.

This was on an 03 Cobra.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I think getting cryogenic treated rotors is a waste of money. I have like 12 track days at least on my $25 centric rotors off of Rock Auto and aside from finally showing very light surface cracking, which I am unable to feel with a fingernail. Goodeass rotors IMO. Not that it matters, but they also have like 10k street miles and have personally eaten 4 full sets of race pads. :fy:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the feedback, gents! I decided to go for some premium centric rotors instead of cryo treated ones. A lot of the cryo treated ones are drilled and/or slotted. I don't really see the need for anything but blanks on a truck. Also read about improper torque specs and faulty caliper hardware, so I am replacing the hardware and doing my normal OCD wheel installation procedure. Never had any issue before.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i wouldn't think it would help with slotting, just maybe longer life if you put it through road track abuse. i said why not and got the cryo treated rears when i got rear rotors for the brz.

my fronts are 2-piece and new needed friction rings are on the way. i thought of having them cryo treated but i'm just going to put them on now. i do think the science is sound that they actually change the internal structure of the rotor. my current pads give me a lot of pad deposit though and i'm welcoming the idea of a new fresh set and feel these lasted me a good long time anyway (2 full seasons). i haven't changed pads (wonder if i maybe should?) but since these have done this with my usage, i'm not going to go cryo.

regular rotors on street driven cars last a long time anyway. if i was driving something like a big heavy work truck i planned on keeping for a long time i probably would pay a few extra bucks for cryo ones. also note that is properly treated cryo ones that go through the full chill process, vs. ones people drop into liquid nitrogen and pull back out to sell, which i think is just a scam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info