Help me not suck at getting rid of my car and getting a truck.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I need some advice on how to go about getting what I need. I am trying to get rid of my Mustang, and get a truck that isn't a pile of crap.

First, I need to sell my Mustang. I really don't want to do Craigslist as people in the city here are sketchy as fuck with auto theft. I was thinking about trying Carmax or finding a dealership that has the truck I want, and trading the car in toward the value of the truck. The place I went to today to look at a truck offered me 16k for my car and I do feel like it is worth more than that. What is the best course of action for this?

Second, what should I reasonably expect to get out of my car? 2011 Mustang GT premium coupe, 52,100 miles, no scratches or dents anywhere on the exterior but a few touched up rock chips(exterior 9/10), interior is as clean as I have seen for this year car...only wear is on the drivers side seat bolster but it isn't terrible(interior 9/10), custom HID projector headlights, Roush suspension, BMR supporting rear suspension parts to correct the geometry from lowering it, MGW shifter, AMSOIL fluids throughout, engine and suspension are stock other than a Roush intake, car drives like a dream with no rattles or creeks or vibrations. I have kept all gas receipts and records for the car as well. Just an overall very clean specimen. Does any of the matter? What is a reasonable number I should shoot for?

Third, how should I go about dealing down the initial price of the truck. I couldn't get the last place to come down on their price much at all and that truck wasn't even worth 20k let alone $23,750. Some places just not willing to deal or is there a secret negotiation technique I need to use?

Fourth, if you dudes are bored then feel free to help me look for a truck. I know some have been posted already, but craigslist might not be an option if I can't get rid of my car first. Looking for a truck $25k or less. 08+Silverado 2500HD or F150 ecoboost is preferable. Something that can easily tow 7,000lbs through the mountains. I am partial to American makes, but if I am missing something and there is a better truck for my needs that is non American, I would consider it. I am not looking for something with a ton of miles on it either. Lower miles with less options would be preferable. No black, red, or yellow.

Thanks in advance for any advice as I have not bought or sold many cars.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
As far as negotiation tactics go, your best one is you have a vehicle and you don't need theirs. If they're a buncha dicks or their price sucks, use the power to walk.

2011 Ford F-150 XLT Truck F-150 Ford

00B0B_fhWGxMfvsXA_600x450.jpg

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Third, how should I go about dealing down the initial price of the truck. I couldn't get the last place to come down on their price much at all and that truck wasn't even worth 20k let alone $23,750. Some places just not willing to deal or is there a secret negotiation technique I need to use?

Hrmm. Its a truck in the south. Not sure there is a certain trick. I just think they know the truck will sell to someone else for closer to their asking price. Unless its a small dealer trying to make their end of month figures. I have walked out of many dealers over 500 bucks and they never called. Because some one else walks in after me and pays that 500.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
As far as negotiation tactics go, your best one is you have a vehicle and you don't need theirs. If they're a buncha dicks or their price sucks, use the power to walk.

2011 Ford F-150 XLT Truck F-150 Ford

00B0B_fhWGxMfvsXA_600x450.jpg

My man, I am glad you are hanging in there with me. Are their any issues I need to be aware of with the ecoboost stuff? Definitely not well read on it. Any years or things to avoid? These do well at higher mileage?

Hrmm. Its a truck in the south. Not sure there is a certain trick. I just think they know the truck will sell to someone else for closer to their asking price. Unless its a small dealer trying to make their end of month figures. I have walked out of many dealers over 500 bucks and they never called. Because some one else walks in after me and pays that 500.

You are probably right on that. He kept saying that they usually sell those 2500HD work trucks pretty quick. Probably holding out until someone pays their price.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
11/12 have two wastegates compared to the 13/14's electronic BOV mounted off the intercooler. You can essentially view the 13/14 as a refreshed 11/12 as there are a buncha interior/exterior updates as well.

One major issues for EcoBoost's from 11-15 is timing chain stretch or guide issues. This is noticeable as a loud ticking on cold start. Typically you'd replace with updated guides and revised chains. FordTachMaklako (spelling?) on YouTube has a solid rundown on this & the next issue.

The second issue is a stutter or shudder mostly as a result of two things. The first is wide plugs and carbon deposits. Basically gap down to .028-.031 (I run .030 myself) and that'll help immensely. Also, the intercooler collects condensation and that sparks the shudder issue. Many people drill a 1/32" weep hole and it clears up 99% of the issue. Again, that FordTech guy on YouTube does a great job going over it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Any thoughts on the Toyota Tundra with the 5.7? Seems to have a good tow rating.

we have two of these at work, and one other one with the 4.7(?)

they are really solid trucks. just thirsty. but they are awfully beefy as fuck. and we don't have too many issues with them, and they get beat to shit. one has 186k, one has 106k, but has had 30k put on it in around 8 months.

Used 2012 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L V8 Double Cab 4WD for Sale in Prescott Valley AZ 86314 Courtesy Auto Sales - PV

Going to call first thing in the morning to see if it is still there and drive to check it out since we have a couple more days off. It won't suck to stop in Sedona, AZ that is on the way back either.

worth a shot

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Tundra's with the 5.7 will be dead nuts reliable but you will get garbage mileage all the time (if that's a concern of yours I don't know) and they're not the best at altitude. Buddy of mine just drove his out to Arizona (by way of colorado) and said it was feeling anemic on climbs with 4 people and a bed/cap full of luggage.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have come to terms with the mileage being crap. And I am ok with it as the use will be worth the price in gas. My biggest concern with the ecoboost is too many moving parts. I would prefer to have a truck that has a basic N/A motor as it will be less upkeep(probably). I like turbos, but a lot of stuff I have read about the older ecoboost trucks kind of scared me away. If I could afford a newer one, I would be all over it.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
agreed with anything N/A sucking at altitude.

And weren't the 5.3 GM trucks getting better than 'yota mpg of the same era?

Werd. My wife's Subaru can barely pull its own ass in altitude. It is obnoxious. From what I read, Tundras weren't over estimated on mpg. People seem to get exactly what they call for ~18mpg. I am not sure comparable Chevy's did the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info