4L80 Hard shift/truck stalling.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm having a weird issue with my 2004 Suburban. There's a bunch of info/observations in my head so I'm going to try and organize it as much as possible.

Took the truck to Hayward this weekend pulling a 6x12 open trailer, probably 1,800#'s loaded including trailer going and 800#'s returning empty trailer weight. On Thursday after picking up the trailer I noticed the truck not immediately wanting to shift into 4th (tow haul ON) and the CEL flashed three times at me, immediately went to 4th (no slip/flare) and continued on normally. Drove to Hayward, drove 200 miles or so there without issue and part of the way home just fine. About halfway home the truck seemed like it didn't have the power to stay in 4th gear, essentially having to take it out of cruise control and vary the throttle with changing terrain to keep it in OD. We were traveling about 75mph at this time. It continued on like this for the next 150 miles or so, occasionally throwing that CEL flash at me.

About 50 miles from home, I was adjusting my throttle position and decided to take the truck out of tow/haul. Shortly after that the engine died. I shifted to neutral and attempted to start it again, nothing. Got over to the side of the road and tried again, nothing. Simply cranking, no fire. I cycled the key 5-6 times and it fired, driving home just fine. However, it is not shifting 1-2, 2-3 and sometimes 3-4 at full line pressure and will slightly "lurch" off the line from a stop. This occurs in tow/haul and normal driving mode with and without the empty trailer.

Theory one is it is a fuel pump, and the "lack of power", flashing CEL and eventual stall out were the result of poor fuel pressure to the rail. When the truck shut down on the highway it potentially threw a VSS or output shaft sensor out of norm and now the truck is in limp mode?

Theory two is there's an issue with the converter or transmission. Obviously the truck is still running, but seems a bit light on power at times. The shifting is a constant now, even after sitting overnight. However, this theory doesn't explain to me why the truck decided to die out.

Sorry, kind of a ramble, if anyone needs anything clarified just ask.

Thanks!

The hard shifting started up immediately after the "stall" but I was more concerned with getting home than to really notice it right away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info