Ford F150 - What's it worth?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
2004, 175,000 miles, blue on tan, extended cab, leather, FX4, no rust and in very good overall shape.

Here's the bad: I guess the 5.4's have a cam phaser issue and it sometimes idles like junk. My dad says it's a bundle of money to get fixed and doesn't know what to do now that emissions are coming up.

So two questions:

1. What's it worth as it sits?
2. What would it realistically cost to have the cam phaser repaired?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The lockouts are just a piece of billet that cause the cams to be locked into one mode and don't phase like OEM ("phasing" cause the cams to rotate forward or backward advancing or retarding timing). That way they won't gum up and won't ever need to be replaced. You also need a tune to "delete" the phasing in the ECM.

But, doubt you could find a dealership to install those unless you know someone who could do it for your dad.

RustyWrench

Aug 30, 2016
The timing chain tensioners are known to blow out their gaskets and cause oil pressure problems too, adding to the whole phasers going bad. Another thing to take into account, if the tensioners are blown out, they may cause oil pressure to drop just enough that the cams starve for oil. Usually the front most cam caps will show the scoring...thus needing a new long block or at the very least heads which is almost the same labor and price wise as just installing a long block...worst case scenario though.

RustyWrench

Aug 30, 2016
I think that's what he read and what's he's largely concerned might be the problem. But he says other than idle the truck seems to run fine.
The best way to tell would be to remove valve covers and look down and blow a little air into the solenoids and see if you can see the the gasket coming out...is the truck in the chicagoland area? Message me and I can give you an idea on what it'll run you if the truck is here in the area.

My buddy will do the work since I wouldn't be able to fit the truck in my garage. We're both certified ford techs by the way.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
The best way to tell would be to remove valve covers and look down and blow a little air into the solenoids and see if you can see the the gasket coming out...is the truck in the chicagoland area? Message me and I can give you an idea on what it'll run you if the truck is here in the area.

My buddy will do the work since I wouldn't be able to fit the truck in my garage. We're both certified ford techs by the way.

Oh snap. & where are you guys located? You guys working at a dealer now?

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Yeah, we're at a dealership. He's in the south burbs and I'm in the northern burbs...just trying to be a bit anonymous at the moment.

I've been a lurker for a bit and been wanting to participate but just never got around to it til now. Lol

Curious about the south burbs location, always like to know a good Ford guy down here. Wouldn't happen to be Frankfort would it? You can shoot me a PM to keep it a little quieter if you like.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef42e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info