"Treating" your car with 93 octane gas

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Some of my family members do this. Their car specs 87-93 octane, but they normally run 87.

They occasionally "treat" their car with 93 octane at the pump. And every single time they mention it, I tell them that if the car was designed for 87 octane, then 93 won't do a thing for it.

But they don't seem to understand it. If your car is rated for 87, just run 87 unless you like paying more at the pump. As long as its good gas 87 vs 93 isn't going to net any benefits in most cars.

I only know of a few cars that seem to have timing tables aggressive enough to take advantage of 93 octane when the fuel door says 87+. The Focus ST happily runs on 87 octane, but with about 10hp less than its 252hp rating according to Ford. I never ran anything but 93 in it.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
IDK man, the reason it "backs if off" is because it's seeing knock. I think that's why most cars gain so much from just a tune, as the tune is set to the lowest octane rating to keep dumbass car owners from blowing the cars up whilst not paying attention to what fuel is needed.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
IDK man, the reason it "backs if off" is because it's seeing knock. I think that's why most cars gain so much from just a tune, as the tune is set to the lowest octane rating to keep dumbass car owners from blowing the cars up whilst not paying attention to what fuel is needed.

Pulled from the Focus ST supplement.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13focst1e.pdf

252 hp @ 5500 rpm on 93 octane 243 hp @ 5500 rpm on 87 octane
270 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm on 93 octane 270 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm on 87 octane

* SAE Certified Performance ratings are achieved with 19.5 psi, but up to 21 psi can be delivered to maximize power depending on fuel quality and atmospheric conditions

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel with an octane rating of 93 or higher will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty or high performance usage.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
TREAT-YO-SELF.png

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
93 octane actually is marginally less power dense than 87. It resists ping better, what the octane rating means, but it actually contains less power per unit than 87. If your car can take advantage of 93, it'll run better, get better fuel economy, make more power, etc. But if your car doesn't specifically have tables for 93, it'll theoretically run worse than 87.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
93 octane actually is marginally less power dense than 87. It resists ping better, what the octane rating means, but it actually contains less power per unit than 87. If your car can take advantage of 93, it'll run better, get better fuel economy, make more power, etc. But if your car doesn't specifically have tables for 93, it'll theoretically run worse than 87.

100%, sluggish enough for some cars to end up at the dealer asking whats wrong after putting in 87 when 92-93 required.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I can tell a difference in my Explorer between 87 and 93. The PCM has to be adapting to the fuel in it.

I've even tested this (not super scientific) by doing a few pulls against a buddy with the same exact Explorer and he runs 87 (both have 3.5L twin turbo V6). I can slowly pull away from him.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
All the turbo motors I've had, I never ran anything below 91 (only ran 91 when 93 wasn't available.) To me, it wasn't worth the possibility of detonation and engine failure.

I will run E85 through my flex fuel vehicles every 6 months or so. My theory being that the corrosive-ness of the ethanol will theoretically keep the fuel system clean, and the ethanol will bind with and eliminate any excess moisture. I take the hit in fuel economy for that one tank (usually 20-30% fewer MPG's.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info