Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Are they really this bad?! :rofl:

BMW Engines Are Gigantic Pieces Of Shit

A short quote from the article:

Let’s take, for example, my old E36 M3. It featured a US-only spec 3.2 liter straight six cylinder engine that produced around 240 horsepower. It also had a unique problem in which the nut that held the sprocket driving the oil pump would fall off. Yes, the one thing that made sure your engine was oiled properly would simply fall apart, because it wasn’t torqued down properly from the factory.

If this part went, as it was apt to do over time, your engine, maligned by some as the worst M3 engine ever made, would be considered a prime candidate for the deadest M3 engine ever made, as the insides would turn themselves to confetti in short order. This wasn’t so much as a defect as it was a promise, a race against the clock that would net you one hell of a story to tell your friends as you cry into your already tear-soaked repair bill.

And that’s the reliable one.

If you move to more late model stuff, the situation gets a bit more dire. Let’s take the E46 M3, for example. It featured a 333-horsepower naturally aspirated inline six cylinder engine that was more unreliable than an AA meeting sponsored by Miller Lite. These engines were were plagued with connecting rod bearing failures, issues with the variable cam timing (VANOS), crankcase ventilation failures, hard starting, and their cooling systems were made of plastic and sealed, ensuring catastrophic failure where scalding hot coolant would shoot out of your engine bay, overheating your engine, at which point your head gasket would blow.

and a couple pics for attention:

dbt3mf9dd1phxkzh4dk9.PNG

966666388_XiyKL-S.jpg

00e0e_4DDBdj1fic1_600x450.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i had that happen on my e36 m3, but after a shift to 2nd instead of 4th at great lakes dragway. it was from an overrev not a normal driving situation.

the e46 motors (earlier ones) however did have problems as noted above.

i wonder how/why they don't catch things like the problems with the rod bearings. seems like you can just make a motor and put it on a test rig and have it live through nightmare cycles and see what goes or not.... maybe they do that and someone (poorly) errs on the side of what they are seeing being 'good enough' to go to production with.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
We do a crap ton of business in Canada and we used to be the primary provider for BMW up there. We actually left that business because it was so unprofitable. We literally could not charge customers enough money for their contracts to cover our losses across the board.

This is coming from charging people 5-6K for coverage on their vehicles and we lost money on almost every single car.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Lets not forget this disaster also. Who the hell buys these shitboxes?

Enginerdy: Why BMW's N63 twin-turbo V8 eats batteries

BMW is also quietly dropping the V8's oil-service interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles*. Not because of oil-life concerns, but to smokescreen the N63's appetite for motor oil. By shortening the time between oil changes (and sneaking an additional quart into the sump), there's less chance customers will get a low-oil-level warning. Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in. Ironic.

Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change. This is where things get confusing. Why not just fix the underlying electrical problem? As it turns out, BMW can't.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm strongly considering getting a used BMW to replace the VW when it goes back to the mother ship on Nov 1st.

But not sure which would be best to avoid these issues. The lil E46 has done well and has 176k on the clock now... but I did put a bit of $ into it when I first got it.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I had both the E36 and E46 M3's. All the issues listed above were a real threat. The oil pump nut would really only come loose on tracked cars that over revved a lot. The rod bearings affected the first 2 years of the E46 model. BMW replaced them free of charge with a extended warranty I believe. The VANOS issue was hit or miss on these cars. And yes, the damn cooling systems were half plastic with I never understood.

They are not that hard to work on with some mechanical knowledge. But parts are expensive.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
So if you had 15k to buy a used BMW/Mercedes/Audi etc... what would you buy?

I really like the idea of the early 2000's M5 myself.

Probably E24, E28, or E34 M. I still like the E36 M3 as well.

My M20s were great. Never had a problem with the M52. My fake S52 ate a water pump but otherwise the engine was great. I was more worried about rear subframe, RTAB, shock towers, and general electronics issues.

My N54 was extremely unfriendly though. I got a bad one.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
So if you had 15k to buy a used BMW/Mercedes/Audi etc... what would you buy?

I really like the idea of the early 2000's M5 myself.

those are awesome cars. the head2head youtube guys or whatever just did a comparison to that chevy ss and found it (interior aside) to be a worthy successor. sure has nothing going on in the looks department though. whereas that m5 is gorgeous.

i've had an e34 535i, e36 m3, and e60 545i and had no real problems outside the self-inflicted one above. i wouldn't have any concerns buying an e39 m5 and almost picked one up in the past.

if i was looking at a more recent one i'd be looking a little deeper into the problems and things like aftermarket warranties though.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
those are awesome cars. the head2head youtube guys or whatever just did a comparison to that chevy ss and found it (interior aside) to be a worthy successor. sure has nothing going on in the looks department though. whereas that m5 is gorgeous.

i've had an e34 535i, e36 m3, and e60 545i and had no real problems outside the self-inflicted one above. i wouldn't have any concerns buying an e39 m5 and almost picked one up in the past.

if i was looking at a more recent one i'd be looking a little deeper into the problems and things like aftermarket warranties though.

Yeah, I don't want a newer one. I do hear problems with them more often than not, esp the turbo'd guys. Would I love to own a N54 with an after market single turbo? Hell yes!

where is [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] in a thread like this?!?!

Great question! [MENTION=9261]Mike[/MENTION]K!

I am just sitting here confused how the post started with how terrible BMW Engines are... followed by posts confirming how shitty these cars can be......... and now its turned into which ones should I buy if I have the money>? da fuck> lol

You know how I roll. "I don't think I should do this... but help me decide how to..." :roflpicard:

I'm not looking forward to hitting 50k miles on my car. I'm just waiting for the injectors to go out

I have a buddy with a 2012 X5 5.0 sport, basically the X5M, without the badges. It too lost the injectors with less than 60k on the clock. WTF? How does that happen?

110k Miles and ticking on my N54. I give it a year and the thing is going to need (upgraded) turbos

Single turbo conversion FTW! I was cruising behind a debadged N54 on 290 the other day while driving back from Naperville in the F350. This dude nailed it and ducked and weaved away at over 100 for sure... looked effortless.

I liked that. :naughty:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info