Dash Cams

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i think people can figure out your speed well enough from the video anyway if they were really interested.

i would look for something that handles low light/night well - which they all certainly don't handle equally - and try to find sample vids to check both that plus how well it really is to actually read a plate number of some other cars in the vid.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I've got the G1W and it's pretty good for the money. Somewhat decent sound quality, good video quality (@1080P) and discreet. I have the capacitor model with the black lens frame instead of the chrome finish.

Had it for about 3-4 months, maybe a bit longer and have used it every day since with so far, no issue. For the price, if it fails, you can easily buy another if you're out of warranty. It would hurt more by buying a Blackvue since they are all $100+ for entry level models. If I wanted to get crazy, I'd use my GoPro Hero 4+ Black if this one took a crap.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I've been running a G1W-C (the C model is important because it runs a capacitor instead of a battery, theoretically making it better off in the heat) for a little of 2 years now. I had it hard-wired into my crown vic, and now it's just plugged into my Expo, as I don't really want to hardwire it this time around. Quality is decent, even at night...nothing to write home about, but it'll get the job done, if you really need it.

The only thing, with it having a microphone, is with Illinois' wiretapping laws. If you get pulled over, and do not disclose that you are recording audio, you could be prosecuted. There's an easy way to turn off the audio recording, but just something to know and think about.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I've got the G1W and it's pretty good for the money. Somewhat decent sound quality, good video quality (@1080P) and discreet. I have the capacitor model with the black lens frame instead of the chrome finish.

Had it for about 3-4 months, maybe a bit longer and have used it every day since with so far, no issue. For the price, if it fails, you can easily buy another if you're out of warranty. It would hurt more by buying a Blackvue since they are all $100+ for entry level models. If I wanted to get crazy, I'd use my GoPro Hero 4+ Black if this one took a crap.

gopro is not a good dashcam solution i don't think there's even any dashcam like mode in it is there? the rolling minute and the event flagging of the blackvue is nice.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I've been running a G1W-C (the C model is important because it runs a capacitor instead of a battery, theoretically making it better off in the heat) for a little of 2 years now. I had it hard-wired into my crown vic, and now it's just plugged into my Expo, as I don't really want to hardwire it this time around. Quality is decent, even at night...nothing to write home about, but it'll get the job done, if you really need it.

The only thing, with it having a microphone, is with Illinois' wiretapping laws. If you get pulled over, and do not disclose that you are recording audio, you could be prosecuted. There's an easy way to turn off the audio recording, but just something to know and think about.

i don't know if that is current on il wiretapping. pretty sure only one party needs to know for it to be considered legal.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
gopro is not a good dashcam solution i don't think there's even any dashcam like mode in it is there? the rolling minute and the event flagging of the blackvue is nice.

Haven't used mine yet as a dashcam, but, you can use it. It will record without issue and can be edited to be corrected instead of being upside down.

I'll test it and see. It records for about an hour 30 in 4K and a bit more in 1080.

Heard good things about the Blackvue, but, they are expensive when comparing it to the G1W.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Haven't used mine yet as a dashcam, but, you can use it. It will record without issue and can be edited to be corrected instead of being upside down.

I'll test it and see. It records for about an hour 30 in 4K and a bit more in 1080.

Heard good things about the Blackvue, but, they are expensive when comparing it to the G1W.

gopro has better image quality and better low light handling than all of these. but the battery dies quickly. can you just keep it plugged in all the time? never even tried that but i bet not great for the overall health of the battery. it would also fill up rather than having the dashcam rolling times. i don't know about the others but the blackvue just records rolling minutes. if it runs out of space it just writes over the oldest minute. if there is an event detected (a certain amount of g's for example) it will flag the minute record as not allowed to be overwritten.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info