Buying car from private party

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I do not know the exact law, however I assume if you are driving home from purchasing the car and have all of the appropriate documents to prove that you would be fine even if you got stopped. I went directly to the currency exchange when I bought mine. Gave me a plate on the spot.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
When I bought the Supra from SC, I had the title and bill of sale and the previous owner let me keep his plates on there (looking back, probably wasnt the smartest). But title and BOS should be sufficient I believe.

Never had issue doing the same.

IL Title Transfer & Vehicle Registration

To transfer the vehicle title and register the car in your name, you must apply within 7 days either:

If you have plates already your going to transer slap them on . Keep bill of sale handy. And you will be fine for the above amount of days. Just have all your documents including proof of insurance there should be no issue. Also found this on SOS website.

Registering a Vehicle in Illinois

Whenever you buy a vehicle in Illinois, get one as a gift, or inherit a vehicle, it needs to be registered within 20 days from the date of purchase.
If you are buying from a car dealer, they will take care of sending this information to the Secretary of State's (SOS) office. When you buy from a private individual, it is your responsibility to complete the paperwork.

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
When I bought the Supra from SC, I had the title and bill of sale and the previous owner let me keep his plates on there (looking back, probably wasnt the smartest). But title and BOS should be sufficient I believe.

When I bought my 03 cobra in Michigan the seller did the same thing. He let me keep the plates on the car for the ride home and he asked I toss them out once I got home. I did as asked. I also had the bill of sale and the seller said I could call him if I got questioned by the police. Made it home with no issues.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
This.

When I bought the vette I had both. Plus I informed the insurance company of my purchase so they could insure it for my travels home until I could call them with all the proper info to make a policy for it.
I believe even if you don't call before you buy it they give you coverage for a few days but why risk it?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
GpcQD3y_zps2a465078.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info