hit 200mph 1/2 mile but ends with disaster

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
:eek:

This is absolutely the worst feeling to watch as we would never wish something like this on our worst enemy, let alone a friend.

When Nacho headed out to the Shift S3ctor half mile in his violent twin turbo LSX Chevrolet Camaro, he would end up suffering one heck of a crash as he passed through the traps at nearly 200 mph before going on a wild ride.

According to Nacho, one of the front left wheel locked up and sent the car into a spin that would eventually lead to the car rolling over and completely tattering.

As the safety crew rushed out, they would discover that the passenger was unconscious, but after being transported to the hospital, both occupants would be deemed ok.

Thanks to properly installed safety equipment, this didn’t end up being the worst case scenario. The majority of the car might be toast, but Nacho even managed to walk around with a first place trophy! It seemed like Nacho managed to take the sullen incident alright and with that attitude, we’re sure he will be back out in no time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpp92bH-To

1800hp Camaro Rolls At 200MPH – Insane In Car Camera Catches The Horrible Crash – Speed Society

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
not sure how a front left wheel locks up and makes the car turn right, but finding the root cause may benefit others.

brakes applied
front wheel with least traction locks before the abs controls can actuate the abs solenoids.
RF wheel with traction applies rearward force to only the pass side, pivoting car towards passenger side
now your along for the ride, even as the abs lets the LF return to rotating

this is why runways suck, planes don't care about traction at high speeds/near airfoil effect.

so a smooth runway isn't a concern fo0r their application as it is for ours

this is the only thing that terrifies me about the 1/2

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the only systems ive seen that are for high speed function are hydraulic accumulator systems, those aint cheap....you can bet that the oem abs is probably physically limited to the cars OEM operating envelope.

I know that the reason they want electric eddy current (regen)/electro-mechanical brakes is that abs becomes easier to implement with greater speed and for way cheaper for a mass produced car.

just imagine the kinds of ABS/trac/motor controls youd have in an unlimited class car that allowed the manufacturers to write off the cost of the R&D

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Really glad they are ok. That car sounded mean for sure and fast. Before every half mile event I have always checked and triple checked everything. Between runs you can find me checking the torque on my wheels as well and pressures. You can never be too careful seriously

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I'd like to know what brake and suspension work was done to the car , if any . I'm guessing a brake line was somehow pinched or blown so hard at 200 mph it was peeled back from the wind . It would be a little dumb to not upgrade to better lines if you're running at that speed . Even the slow down from 200 mph on the brakes and lines would be very harsh.

I would think a stock abs system and sensors could handle the speed as far as pulsating each wheel . There are many factors an abs module takes into consideration as to how to pulsate a corner . I would think there would be some fail safe in the module as to what speed the abs should go inactive and not allow the wheels to pulsate at all .

And if it is capable at that speed , it would be more how the suspension and tires handle the pulsation at 200 mph that could cause a problem .

Or maybe that front left had a sensor failure and the car reacted incorrectly when he braked .

BigJohnson

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2013
Who hits the brakes at th end of a pass like that? Nobody who knows what their doing.from the video it looks like something in the front suspension failed and the car did its own thing. I coast running slow ass 11s because what braking can do. No way he touched the brakes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info