YouTube Painting intercooler black makes it perform worse

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I would have thought that painting the intercooler black would introduce layer of paint that would reduce its efficiency.

But I guess it isn't enough to make much difference at all when driving, its still 3°C worse with the paint though.

Though the recorded differences with no airflow are pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Id like to see if black anodizing is better

you are still adding something, although certain types it is super thin. what would help you actually improve it is not adding stuff to the surface but increasing surface area.

there are things you could do (for extreme use cases) where you could take a radiator and improve on it without doing things like increasing the number of fins but by increasing the surface area on the existing fins.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
What's old is new again!

We were talking about this on Vintage Mustang Forums a decade ago. Laquer vs Enamel vs no paint......only it was on radiators.

My solution was simple - Get a couple hair dryers, a fan, some cardboard and duct tape.

Make a makeshift plenum to direct the hair dryers into the intercooler passages.
Make a makeshift duct from outside of intercooler to the fan.
Turn on the fan, turn on the hair dryers - wait five minutes and measure the exit temp from the intercooler.
Paint intercooler with anything one wants to and repeat test.

Is the exit temp higher or lower? That about answers this question for under $5.00.

Your mileage may vary.

zenriddles

Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
you are still adding something, although certain types it is super thin. what would help you actually improve it is not adding stuff to the surface but increasing surface area.

I can't find a link but I recall something about a flat paint being not so flat as surface goes, hence causing micro turbulence and acting to extract more heat than just smooth metal. It was a thickness of laminar flow issue.

I'll keep looking for the link.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
that sounds like more surface area but at the cost of a barrier though right?

i think there might be an anodization technique that might do that well, although i thought i had heard about something along the lines of shooting micro particles at some to create small deformities. ie. you could simply physically deform all the fins and end up with much more surface area.

zenriddles

Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
apparently there is some aluminum vapor process where they take a heat exchanger and just blast small bits of pure aluminum onto it to roughen it up

This. ^^^

Once again, back to the laminar flow issue. Once upon a time there was a test with bowling balls and water.
Drop 2 balls, one bare, one covered in 50 grit sand paper. The 50 grit ball always hit bottom first.

It 'ripped' the laminar flow barrier of the fluid and therefore had less overall resistance to movement.
Same holds true for rough paint vs smooth on a heat exchanger - if the laminar flow is very smooth, it pulls AWAY from the surface to be cooled and actually causes an insulation effect due to dead air at the exchanger surface.
When the surface is rough, the air turbulates and interacts much more closely with the surface to be cooled and results in a better heat exchange.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Mines actually painted black. It gives me sick horse gains!

But really I did it for the look of the car. My intake temp is alright. Never had an issue with it too hot. But its never given me a boner because it was cooler than normal. But I can tell its still working well by just feeling it after a drive. I used just engine paint enamel on it.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Id like to see if black anodizing is better

there are things you could do (for extreme use cases) where you could take a radiator and improve on it without doing things like increasing the number of fins but by increasing the surface area on the existing fins.

I wonder what's more effiecient, black ano or oxidized raw alloy.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
This. ^^^

Once again, back to the laminar flow issue. Once upon a time there was a test with bowling balls and water.
Drop 2 balls, one bare, one covered in 50 grit sand paper. The 50 grit ball always hit bottom first.

It 'ripped' the laminar flow barrier of the fluid and therefore had less overall resistance to movement.
Same holds true for rough paint vs smooth on a heat exchanger - if the laminar flow is very smooth, it pulls AWAY from the surface to be cooled and actually causes an insulation effect due to dead air at the exchanger surface.
When the surface is rough, the air turbulates and interacts much more closely with the surface to be cooled and results in a better heat exchange.

This might go down in the history books as one of your more accurate and informative posts! :bigthumb:

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Think it cools?

13923736_1091927534214618_4698149139211721808_o.jpg

2g DSM

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info