Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Not exactly a comprehensive list but a list none the less.

More Horsepower Than Advertised - Cars That Secretly Make Tons of Power

L88 Corvette
Rated 435, made at least 100 more than marketed.

Nissan Skyline GTR
Rated at 276 do to Japanese regulations for that time but made closer to 320 (R32 at least).

Ferrari F40
478 officially, believed to make well over 500.

Boss 429
375 rated, closer to 475-500.

69 GTO Judge
GM claimed 370 but that was apparently made up. Made closer to 400+

BMW M5 (current)
560 advertised, independent dyno shows 620

Porsche 959
450 rated, likely way past 500

68 Firebird 400
325 claimed, likely closer to 360

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

true or false.

the skyline had a restrictor in the intake tube (big ole' yellow pull tab)... that they told you to remove when you left the dealer to unleash the 300+hp

I thought there were two locations but there is a small line on the passenger side (iirc) for the solenoid and thats where you remove the in line restrictor. Removing that gives you a full 1 bar of boosts. Its not recommended as a long term deal tho b/c it could damage the turbos (just something I remember reading back in the day).

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

true or false.

the skyline had a restrictor in the intake tube (big ole' yellow pull tab)... that they told you to remove when you left the dealer to unleash the 300+hp

I thought there were two locations but there is a small line on the passenger side (iirc) for the solenoid and thats where you remove the in line restrictor. Removing that gives you a full 1 bar of boosts. Its not recommended as a long term deal tho b/c it could damage the turbos (just something I remember reading back in the day).

I remember hearing something about this. Maybe it was on one of Matt Farah's One Takes.

And for my engine pic, the LS1 should be on that list. F-bodies got the same 350hp engine as the vetts.

Surprised no Grand National

Those were like 276hp rated, so it didn't hurt the Corvette's feelings :rofl:
Anything powered by the Buick 3.8L was underrated. Buick made a hell of an engine there. I wish Pontiac had just used the 3.8L for all their Firebirds as the top engine.

GN, TTA, and GNX all make well past advertised numbers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info