Do you still get excited to drive your fun car?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Your fun car might be your daily, or it might be your second car, either way.

As Chubbys is now in full swing, a question I get asked often is "why did you get rid of the supra??"....and there is a very simple answer for that. One morning I went out to the garage and got in it to leave and I didnt feel excited to drive it. It felt like just another mode of transportation. It didnt put a smile on my face to start it up, I wasnt giddy to cruise around, go wide open, etc. It was literally at that moment I knew my passion for the car was lost. It didnt help that the auto was mostly to blame but whatever.

With the Evo, I still get excited to hop into the driver seat each time I take the car out. Still get pumped to hammer the throttle down. All the stuff that was missing with the Supra.

So ya, enough words...what about you guys? Do you still feel that excitement when you get to drive your fun cars?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I do when its running right. But with the mods its taken the fun out of the daily grind.

Sure, I grin when I see the GTA. Especially when I start it. But during the daily grind I hit traffic, and the traffic is just the worst with the cammed car. Its a right bitch in stop n' go. Specially without air conditioning. Plus the steering is heavy as fuck, needing two hands and shoulder muscles to actually move below 10mph. And sitting still? Its enough that I get tendonitis in my elbow.

So, among the things I'm going to do once I have the RS and can spend some money on it is change it up a bit. Going to change the pressure valve in the steering gear out for a lighter valve, so full assist comes in sooner. Going to drop the K-member out of the car and cut a relief so I can put the AC compressor in the car.

And realistically I should move from 3.23's to 3.73's or 3.90's.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yes but I've only had it a week.

Even though the previous one had a few mods, I felt kinda like I went too far with it. It beat the crap out of me a lot and that live rear axle was hard to get away from. I did still look forward to driving it, but it made me like the days I took the 245 to work a lot more.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I need to have a fun daily driver else it feels numb to me. Granted I only drive the car a few times a week. Working from home means sometimes I go 3 days without leaving the house. I still get excited to drive the TA. It's fun to ride around in something that is mannered and also built to blast the 1/4 mile. The daily bimmer is fun too but I'm not so excited to modify it which is fine. I still have fun it it albeit stock.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Yes. It still has some minor issues to fix, but that will always be the case. Even with its little hiccups the Cobra is a blast to drive no doubt.

It helps to have the coyote as a daily. It's pretty fun even slogging through my daily commute, reliable, and reasonably comfortable

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i like my car but drive like a grandma on the street and just did my daily starbucks run and it's not like it gave me a boner.

any car will be fun to toss around a race track, but that is where i really enjoy this one. it's fun to try and catch/pass people with a lot more power who i should have no business passing, and what's nice about it being fairly modern and lightweight is that i can just go drive it and do so reliably. if i wanted to go drive on a race track in 10 minutes, i could just drive onto a track and do it. if i drive for a half hour straight, i'm just going to come off and park it too. i won't be dicking with things that got too hot, brake fade, having to change pads or fluids at the track, etc. excited to do that all summer.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Nah. my fun car is my every day car. you get used to stuff. I know better than to keep throwing money at it though. It's really the perfect daily IMO. Quick enough to put a smile on my face or surprise others when I get in it, handles well, looks great, reasonable mileage, comfortable, hauls my bike and kayaks around. Doesn't excite me to get in every time but I don't feel like it's a boring overly practical car either.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Yup, and I drive it just about every day of the week. I think the manual transmission prevents a lot of the boredom. I'm getting the bug to do some power mods.

irPpl5A_zps61bbcccf.gif

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
My fun car is my Street Glide right now. I always get super happy knowing I am going to ride that day. Even if it's just to work and back. Riding my bike, to me, is a nice way to clear my head and just have fun.
Now I am the same way with this new truck. Most likely because it's new and not my patriot. I have always loved trucks. I had a Ranger FX4 years and years back. Absolutely loved driving that around also. So I think I'm set on both sides again.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yes, I only drive the SS about once a week. I've been mellow on it lately and simply enjoy hearing the cam'd LS2 rumble through the Kooks 1 7/8 / off road Y pipe exiting through the Magna Flow.

I've been reluctant to launch off the line concerned about breaking something else this year...... Gulp

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
LMK about that SS though.

My cars are fun AF to drive, I ride my bike all week so I get a chance to miss them and enjoy TF out of driving them. Plus I track my shit a bunch, using it for something other than driving it on the street makes them even more fun. Street driving is boring AF, there's people in the way and laws to fuck you in the ass. Getting on a track and just thrashing the shit out of it is what it's all about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info