e55 amg benz?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Awesome drive train, bullet proof engine and trans.... electronics and everything (including maint.) else will bleed you dry.

Also has 77K miles...

"AMG Tuned Airmatic Dual Control Air Suspension w/Adaptive Damping System (ADS II)" that's like a 6K job when it goes out. (if all 4 corners) I heard it's 1500 per corner.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Does is matter? There's a reason a car like that is affordable, because nobody wants the problems that come along with owning one. If they were as bulletproof as a Honda and equally as cheap to fix, it wouldn't have lost so much value. If you're well off and give no fucks about repair costs, that's a BAD ASS car to own. Usually nobody looking for 11yr old cars in the price range has enough money to afford owning a car like that.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Awesome drive train, bullet proof engine and trans.... electronics and everything (including maint.) else will bleed you dry.

Also has 77K miles...

"AMG Tuned Airmatic Dual Control Air Suspension w/Adaptive Damping System (ADS II)" that's like a 6K job when it goes out. (if all 4 corners) I heard it's 1500 per corner.

A friend on mine has an '07 and is scared for when that happens :rofl: He's trying to find suspensions that delete that system and they're still $3500+. Jeeeeeeezus.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Cheaper yes, a lot more than you're expecting this is going to be? Yes.

Can you afford a $50k car? Serious question.

50k no 40k yes

hence looking at a mid 20s k car and 10kish to sort it out or keep aside for ohh fuck this and this needs to be fixed.

Edit. Also on that note could I afford a 40k note yes. Do I want to no. Again hence the looking at mid 20kish cars and have 10k aside for oh fuck. Really just don't want a monster payment like sub 500 and in the mid 20k range if I break something or need to fix crap I can swallow the bill with out crying.

about 8k available right now and finance the vehicle.

My mortgage account is separate from rest of banking for the house I just got with enough to pay 8 months worth of mortgage payments in it.

Ive been on fucking active duty for 3 years in a row and now that I have a solid job I can actually pull the trigger on a new car soon with out having to use the savings account and mortgage account as funds to cover the bills.

Honestly here the last 3 years have been great financially and I feel like I deserve a better vehicle especially now that im in a wayyyy better position financially than 3 years ago. Hell my house payment is less than my rent was too. So that's a plus. 3800 junk boxes are paid and can be dumped at any time.

Biggest bills right now are 1k mortgage and $330 for SUV.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
IMO, don't burn a hole in your pocket. You have a good DD now after all that work, use the money to build your race car and just keep driving the free DD.

STOP IT!

You make too much sense my wife is saying the same.

In a year Ill be going back to Washington DC again cant a brother just live it up for a while? :rofl:

Need4spd

Sep 9, 2014
I had one for a long time, it was high mileage (124k) no major issues. Last time I cheked brakes were really reasanable, 120$ per rotor and brake pads like 80$. Air suspension is about 400 a corner, motor mounts 100$ (eats those ). Probably most popular AMG out there and all issues are known, not that bad to fix if you're willing to do it yourself . Overall a great car and a blast to drive, undervalued in my opinion.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I had one for a long time, it was high mileage (124k) no major issues. Last time I cheked brakes were really reasanable, 120$ per rotor and brake pads like 80$. Air suspension is about 400 a corner, motor mounts 100$ (eats those ). Probably most popular AMG out there and all issues are known, not that bad to fix if you're willing to do it yourself . Overall a great car and a blast to drive, undervalued in my opinion.

Thanks!

Think 70k miles is too high?

Rule #1 is THY SHALL FIX OWN SHIT so yes as long as I don't need some super expensive specialty tools ill be wrenching it myself. Or some specialty tools I'd buy if not outrageous price.

Rule #2 is Never pay full price for parts

:rofl:

Need4spd

Sep 9, 2014
I don't think 70k is a lot, mine turned 100k on the test drive:). Couple things to check is the SBC module (ABS pump) common failure, mercedes actually extended warranty on those to 10yrs unlimited mileage, than pano roof make sure it works without any issues, fobs (keys) make sure you have 2 working (keyless go ones are expensive to replace 400$), also there are sensors in the door handles that sense the key and open the door make sure to walk up to every door and check it ( there about 160$ and you have to replace whole handle).
That's a nice color combo, must be rare never seen one before

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I have owned one. And would never again. I will say the thrill and performance of the engine was amazing. But that was about it. Take this from someone who has owned similar year E60 M5. The E55 hands down was more fun to drive. But that was it. The interior was crap. All plastic bits. The comfort and handling does not even compare to a BMW. Oh and add on top the quality of the mechanics forget it. I had nothing but issues. Not major but they did not need to be. Parts even online for somethings were crazy. Especially with rear suspension. The rear air struts were 500 a piece and that was for cheap non factory replacements. Had nothing but electrical gremlins that caused ABS and air bag warning lights.That regular shops could not diagnose . I doubt you will buy one. But please listen to the forum peeps and stay away. Im not even listing all the issues I had. It makes me mad to think about all them and the $$$$$. And I fixed a lot myself.

IMG_20150301_105408_zpslv7apph9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info