I want to buy a TDI Jetta or Passat

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Realistically, what's the worst that can happen? Indiana doesn't test diesel emissions

The Jettas don't have a DEF system so i'd think they'll be part of the buy-back, but i'd rather buy one from a dealer on the cheap and keep it. There are still many listed for sale

or i could buy a Passat. The way i see it is this is a great way to get a reliable, low mile DD for cheap. IMO long term, values will go up because supply will be limited, but even if they don't i would not care

Discuss

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
At this instant in time, I would not touch a diesel VW product with a 10 foot pole. There is still just no telling what is going to happen in the coming weeks/months with them.

Like I suggest to every friend and relative, If you want a reliable DD Sedan, buy something that ends in amry, or cord.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
This whole scandal aside, i love my 13 jetta tdi, loaded except for navi

I drove 10 cars in the segment to compare, I get a rental car almost every week for work as I travel and have probably had 30+ other different models

besides a bmw or mercedes costing tens of thousnds more, this was the best driving car on the highway that I've ever driven bar none

This gas mileage is insane, and the scandal just proved that. Besides the last few tanks as I live in the city and just plain stop bumper to bumper traffic, every tank in the other 40k miles I put on the car was 40mpg+

Peppy around town and plenty of power on the highway despite a lower horsepower rating, huge torque numbers... and I didn't even think to get it tuned which yields more.

I have no idea whats going to happen especially now with the agreement reached, up until the last moments of this I wanted to buy the car outright, now I'd let this all settle and if you can find one without recall work done, whatever that works out to be, I'd jump on one... heck you can get it in manual too lol

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
At this instant in time, I would not touch a diesel VW product with a 10 foot pole. There is still just no telling what is going to happen in the coming weeks/months with them.

Like I suggest to every friend and relative, If you want a reliable DD Sedan, buy something that ends in amry, or cord.

The Japanese automakers reliability has taken a huge dive after 2008 market crash and 2011 tsunami...Mid-2000's, yeah I'd agree with you, but not anymore...The American automakers make a hell of a good reliable vehicle though now

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Who knows how aggressive the EPA will be in forcing these vehicles off the road or to get fixed. They could place a hold on registration so you can't register the vehicle or update plates until the fix is done. There hasn't been any hint at that, but it's something to consider.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The Japanese automakers reliability has taken a huge dive after 2008 market crash and 2011 tsunami...Mid-2000's, yeah I'd agree with you, but not anymore...The American automakers make a hell of a good reliable vehicle though now

Camry and Accords are both made State-Side and have been for quite some time, I don't think the market crash or the tsunami would have an immediate impact on the quality of their goods?

I feel its definitely pushed Honda/Toyota/Nissan into 'playing it safe' for the past few years. The corolla speaks loudly to that as its the SAME car as its always been under the sheet metal since 2003. I don't feel that makes it any less reliable? Maybe not revolutionary, and maybe falling behind its competition in some regards, but definitely no less reliable or economical.

The new Civic is VERY sharp, and the introduction of the 1.5T motor shows Honda starting back in the right direction, Toyota dropping Scion is showing a re-focus on core brand, and Nissan is refreshing its entire lineup it seems moving to their 'corporate' design language (Again, this is just my take on these brands, but none of these things would take away from the quality of their products?)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Camry and Accords are both made State-Side and have been for quite some time, I don't think the market crash or the tsunami would have an immediate impact on the quality of their goods?

I feel its definitely pushed Honda/Toyota/Nissan into 'playing it safe' for the past few years. The corolla speaks loudly to that as its the SAME car as its always been under the sheet metal since 2003. I don't feel that makes it any less reliable? Maybe not revolutionary, and maybe falling behind its competition in some regards, but definitely no less reliable or economical.

The new Civic is VERY sharp, and the introduction of the 1.5T motor shows Honda starting back in the right direction, Toyota dropping Scion is showing a re-focus on core brand, and Nissan is refreshing its entire lineup it seems moving to their 'corporate' design language (Again, this is just my take on these brands, but none of these things would take away from the quality of their products?)

The are not "made" stateside, they are assembled stateside. Many of the parts and components are produced in Japan still.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The are not "made" stateside, they are assembled stateside. Many of the parts and components are produced in Japan still.

So yes, they are Assembled State-Side :smile:

But I still don't feel there has been a 'decline' in quality, Lots of friends and family own newer model Accords/Camrys and the like, and none of sung anything but praise, I just feel that nothing they have built has been exceptional or special during that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info