I mean, I understand German cars depreciate... but...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/664723803/overview/

really?

4aeab7a29f06a457b7266d870f3.jpg

$26,667 42,079 mi.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You willing to take that chance? Cause nobody else is, that's why it's so cheap. They're infamously known to have things break that cost a lot of money to repair. So instead, they buy a NEW reliable car for the same price and that car sits on the lot until someone takes the chance on it.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
You willing to take that chance? Cause nobody else is, that's why it's so cheap. They're infamously known to have things break that cost a lot of money to repair. So instead, they buy a NEW reliable car for the same price and that car sits on the lot until someone takes the chance on it.

Exactly. Not enticed. And really is not a deal at that price. I have owned 2 Mercedes of that era (2006 R350 and 2006 E55 AMG). Nothing but problems. Quality went to shit when Daimler took over. Maybe its better now. I would stay far away.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
my thoughts as well.

Also, they're not hard to work on. German cars above anything else has a huge following of cost conscious secondhand owners who are more than willing to create lengthy forum posts and DIY videos to help out fellow owners. This, paired with an abundance of sources for quality aftermarket and discounted OE parts, they're not much more expensive to keep on the road than your "run of the mill" car.

I did a cost analysis about a month ago on wear items, purchase price and resale value between a 2003 Honda Civic and a 2003 BMW 525i. More than half of the BMW wear items (Radiator, water pump, fuel pump, brakes, wheel bearings, etc) were less than that of the Honda.

But go ahead and keep that stigma alive, it lets me get them cheap.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My friend got an '07 E55 AMG for $32k out the door about 1yr ago. He beats the ever living shit out of it, and how many times has it broken?

NOT ONE DAMN TIME.

HOWEVER, to the jack ass people that think they're "reliable" why don't you ask him about his blower fan that has gone out 2 times and IS NOT covered under this amazing warranty. Cause each time it cost him $600. THAT's why nobody buys those cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info