Tesla News Too Fun Not To Share

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I haven't been around much lately but I figure car nerds will enjoy this discovery.

So since the Model S has been out there's been people trying to determine what the differences between the various models are. Originally the car came in 4 different formats:

40kwh
60kwh
85kwh
85kwh Performance

The 40kwh car wasn't selling and so Tesla never made it. For the customers that ordered one they gave them a 60kwh car and software limited it to 40kwh.

Beyond that it was understood that all of the cars had the same motor but that the 60kwh cars weren't as fast as the 85kwh cars because the battery voltage was lower and that the 85kwh cars weren't as fast as the 85kwh Performance cars because the Performance cars used a larger inverter.

Well there's this one guy on the Tesla forums that've been actively restoring salvage cars and in the process of doing so he's taken out the touchscreen and computer and reverse engineered a lot of what Tesla has done with the car.

Supercharging

The first thing he discovered is somewhat of a game changer for salvage cars. If you have a salvage car Tesla disables it from supercharging. Nobody really knew how that was accomplished though. Well he determined that the electronic handshake between the car and the supercharger was all done on the side of the car. So the supercharger would charge anything and it was up to the car to say "yes, I have this option" or "no I don't". By disabling supercharging Tesla was simply accessing the car over the air and turning the supercharging off. He successfully turned it back on.

40kwh - 60kwh

Remember those 40kwh cars that were actually software limited 60kwh cars? He can remove the limitation, effectively giving those owners the power and range of the 60kwh cars.

Performance Upgrades

A few days ago he shared with the forum that he had recently helped restore a salvage 60kwh car. The only battery they could find was an 85kwh battery which they installed. He said that though the car protested, it worked just fine. He uploaded 85kwh firmware to the car and boom: it was an 85kwh car.

But then he decided to see what would happen if he uploaded the firmware from a P85: the performance version of the 85kwh car. Keep in mind that officially the P85 has a different inverter on the motor and a different part number in Tesla's system. So he uploaded the firmware and surprisingly the car took it. More surprisingly, he suddenly had the performance of a P85.

He then measured temperature differences in the inverters and is pretty confident that the inverters are indeed the same, just that Tesla is trying to put up some smoke and mirrors so that people don't think they paid another 10k for what is essentially flipping a switch in software.

He also said the car has been running as a P85 for 2 months with no issues.

I'm loving my 85kwh car but it's pretty cool to think that in the very near future I could potentially shave a second off my 0-60 and 8/10ths off of my quarter mile with nothing more than changing a single setting in the firmware.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I've been lurking but not posting. With some of the responses I was getting I figured either everyone here was an asshole and I was just misunderstood (not likely) or I was just being an argumentative dick and couldn't see it. Either way, regular participation lost it's fun.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I haven't been around much lately but I figure car nerds will enjoy this discovery.

So since the Model S has been out there's been people trying to determine what the differences between the various models are. Originally the car came in 4 different formats:

40kwh
60kwh
85kwh
85kwh Performance

The 40kwh car wasn't selling and so Tesla never made it. For the customers that ordered one they gave them a 60kwh car and software limited it to 40kwh.

Beyond that it was understood that all of the cars had the same motor but that the 60kwh cars weren't as fast as the 85kwh cars because the battery voltage was lower and that the 85kwh cars weren't as fast as the 85kwh Performance cars because the Performance cars used a larger inverter.

Well there's this one guy on the Tesla forums that've been actively restoring salvage cars and in the process of doing so he's taken out the touchscreen and computer and reverse engineered a lot of what Tesla has done with the car.

Supercharging

The first thing he discovered is somewhat of a game changer for salvage cars. If you have a salvage car Tesla disables it from supercharging. Nobody really knew how that was accomplished though. Well he determined that the electronic handshake between the car and the supercharger was all done on the side of the car. So the supercharger would charge anything and it was up to the car to say "yes, I have this option" or "no I don't". By disabling supercharging Tesla was simply accessing the car over the air and turning the supercharging off. He successfully turned it back on.

40kwh - 60kwh

Remember those 40kwh cars that were actually software limited 60kwh cars? He can remove the limitation, effectively giving those owners the power and range of the 60kwh cars.

Performance Upgrades

A few days ago he shared with the forum that he had recently helped restore a salvage 60kwh car. The only battery they could find was an 85kwh battery which they installed. He said that though the car protested, it worked just fine. He uploaded 85kwh firmware to the car and boom: it was an 85kwh car.

But then he decided to see what would happen if he uploaded the firmware from a P85: the performance version of the 85kwh car. Keep in mind that officially the P85 has a different inverter on the motor and a different part number in Tesla's system. So he uploaded the firmware and surprisingly the car took it. More surprisingly, he suddenly had the performance of a P85.

He then measured temperature differences in the inverters and is pretty confident that the inverters are indeed the same, just that Tesla is trying to put up some smoke and mirrors so that people don't think they paid another 10k for what is essentially flipping a switch in software.

I'm loving my 85kwh car but it's pretty cool to think that in the very near future I could potentially shave a second off my 0-60 and 8/10ths off of my quarter mile with nothing more than changing a single setting in the firmware.

The question is how is he doing it? Is there some software like HP Tuners or ?

As always love your Tesla posts.

President of the Mike K fan club

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
How is he even cracking the software?

It's a computer like any other computer I guess. He's pretty vague.

There is a hidden network cable in the center console though and I know people have accessed it that way. Apparently the car is just running a separate instance of Linux for each display. That makes sense as you can reset both the main display and the instrument cluster separately through the steering wheel controls.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
It's a computer like any other computer I guess. He's pretty vague.

There is a hidden network cable in the center console though and I know people have accessed it that way. Apparently the car is just running a separate instance of Linux for each display. That makes sense as you can reset both the main display and the instrument cluster separately through the steering wheel controls.

Thanks for the quote, dick... and you wonder why we don't cuddle anymore.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm telling your wife. I'm shallow like that

She's just happy I'm not nagging her for sex any more.

this just means the resale of lower lines just went up a little bit more. I'm pretty sure Tesla knew this day was coming. I'm going to guess that it's going to be a little more difficult with the newer vehicles since they are more hardware limited vs software

I doubt most would consider doing this. For one, your car reports it's configuration to Tesla regularly. So someone would have to figure out a way to spoof that so that the car continues to tell Tesla it's a standard 85kwh car versus a P85. Beyond that, this is beyond the scope of most people and I think the vast majority of people buying a car like this aren't doing it to modify.

It looks like this has affected the prices of salvage cars though. Those the followed my salvage adventure might remember that my chief reasons for not keeping the car were related to service and a complete inability for anyone other than Tesla to even diagnose the car and potentially having something as small as a lost key resulting in me having a useless car because they won't program one for a salvage car. By and large those problems have all been eliminated now. If I still had that salvage car now, I'd probably just hang on to it.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Performance Upgrades

Well that's pretty damn awesome for sure! :fy:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

40kwh
60kwh
85kwh
85kwh Performance

Supercharging

40kwh - 60kwh

Performance Upgrades

While that is amazing I would not immediately say Tesla is charging 10k for a software upgrade. Possible? Sure. They own the electric market and they can do what they please currently. Taking apart both inverters would be what he would need to do to confirm they are the same.

Its the same as an engine. Will has a forged LS1, I have a standard LS1. They look exactly the same on the outside, They even run the same temps as well. Its a little early to point fingers.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Now, can this guy or another programmer go beyond the P85 programming? Tesla probably didn't take performance to the limit with the P85. Will we be seeing modded P85X (for xperimental) cars?

At what cost though? The warranty will surely be voided and that can easily be tracked on a car such as this. Take it to far and you have a 90 thousand dollar roller with no warranty and one Tesla wont service.

I would go the total opposite direction. You want to become a millionaire overnight "tuning" wise? Find a way to make the electric motor even more efficient to use even less power. Stretch the miles from 280 to 380.... or even 350. Make a mode where you would sacrifice the power but you would gain the miles for the long commutes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info