Need Wheel Opinion.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have been trying to find a set of wheels I like for my sterling gray 2011 mustang gt, but I am having a tough time making a choice. I was originally going to save up and get a nice set of wheels, but dropping 2-3k just isn't appealing anymore... Especially when I change my mind on what I like damn near every day. I would like to get some 19's so I can still get some decent rubber on there and 19's are the perfect size for these cars IMO. I will very rarely, if ever, take this car to a drag strip so a street set up is what I have in mind.

American Muscle has a pretty good deal on these silver performance pack style wheels that I can get in a staggered 19x8.5 / 19x10 size. I like the style enough and think they would look good on my car. They are styled off of the 2015 gt's so they are different enough on the 2011's that they don't look like every other wheel out there. They are also big enough so I can get some brembos under there in the future. Here is the link to the wheels... I am going to try to post up some pictures here in a minute when I get to a computer.

Silver Performance Pack Style Mustang Wheel - 19x8.5 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

So, what does TCG think? Look good enough that it is worth the purchase? Would anyone be willing to photoshop these wheels on a 2011 sterling gray gt for me?

here is a picture of the wheels and a random gray mustang if anyone would be so kind to try and Photoshop these together. Thank you

cpe5YEs.jpg

UP8Il2K.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I actually ordered 18's for my car because American Muscle had 18 inch GT500 PP Wheels for STUPID cheap.

I'm actually not a fan of the 2015+ wheels on the 11-14 mustangs, they don't look quite 'right' to me, but that's just personal opinion.

I also would have been completely happy with a set of OEM Brembo wheels, but they aren't as affordable as I'd hoped for a take-off set.

Here's my wheel thread incase you missed it: http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/automotive-discussions/152097-yay-nay-s197-rim-opinion.html

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
IMO, spend the big bucks on a nice set of wheels you'll be 100% happy with. Unless you can find a stupid cheap deal on something used.

a nice wheel is always going to be worth a decent buck on resale. If you get the same cheap wheels everyone else does, they're just not worth much when you eventually get rid of the car.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
In my opinion go with something out of the norm. I just don't see the point in buying run of the mill wheels that 90% of the people that have Mustangs already run. Know your offsets and look for a multi-spoke wheel that is not advertised on American Muscle. If I were you I would pick something in a bright silver finish to give a nice contrast to the dark grey.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Definitely want something in bright silver. Also would like something unique. I will keep looking. Not really sold on these or what I have been looking at. I need to be a bit more patient and creative. I would like to get a nice light weight wheel as well to help with any performance gains I could get. I have only really been looking at the mustang websites and svtp wheel thread. I guess I will hold off and put more effort into the search. You fuckers and your correct logic.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
P.S.- anyone have a good place to start as far as wheel catalogs or brands that would fit a light weight design?

You could check out Howey Industries and talk to Paul or I had good luck with True Forged and talked to Steve. TF is my current setup, I went this direction because I wanted a brushed and polished combination, no powder coating. I used Paul for my previous setup Forgestars. It was nice to work with either as they knew the Platform I wanted wheels for. Howey does have a website with MANY wheels to choose from. If you do find something I suggest calling Them as you will get a better price than what is shown.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
You could check out Howey Industries and talk to Paul or I had good luck with True Forged and talked to Steve. TF is my current setup, I went this direction because I wanted a brushed and polished combination, no powder coating. I used Paul for my previous setup Forgestars. It was nice to work with either as they knew the Platform I wanted wheels for. Howey does have a website with MANY wheels to choose from. If you do find something I suggest calling Them as you will get a better price than what is shown.

Thanks for the heads up man! I will definitely check them out here. I have liked several true forged wheels I have seen on Mustangs.

I have seen these on a decent amount of mustangs, but they are HOT! The Velgen VMB5, can get a set for $1,600.

Velgen Mustang VMB5 Wheel 19"x10.5" Matte Silver 2005-2014

5467.jpg

Yup, I really like those Velgens. I was looking at those or the VMB7's. The main reason I was trying to find a different wheel than these is because of how many Mustangs I have seen with them. But I cannot deny, they look fantastic.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Now we are talking.... How much money are you looking to spend? Also look for something that is at least rotary forged / flow formed. The combo of a stronger wheel and the weight savings are worth it.

If you have $2500 to blow check out the Vossen VSF1 in the brushed finish.:wackit:

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have a decent amount of money I would be willing to spend to get the right wheel/look. The rubber I will be putting on these is really important to me as well, so I will need to plan for that. I love driving my car all the time, so I will need a very nice and sticky summer tire that can take rain without a problem yet give me the straight line traction I want. I don't really drive my car in the winter any more, so that is nice.
[MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] Vossen wheels are definitely on the list to look at as well. I think the vmb7 and the cv2 are very similar. I have talked myself out of cheaping out on the wheels, so I might as well spend some dough. I don't really feel like dropping a grand on each wheel though.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
[MENTION=702]SleeperLS[/MENTION]
I prefer the look of the Velgen vmb7 over the Vossen cv2 if you are going for that mesh style look. The Vossen cv2 has been out for a really long time and surprised that they still make it.

Are you looking at a 20x9 and 20x10.5 setup? I'd also call Howie Industries in Orland Park because you can talk to a real human and knows his shit.
Some other forged mesh style wheels are
Avant Garde M610
TSW Nurburgring
Vorsteiner V Ff 101 Flow Forged Alloy Wheel

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Yup, I really like those Velgens. I was looking at those or the VMB7's. The main reason I was trying to find a different wheel than these is because of how many Mustangs I have seen with them. But I cannot deny, they look fantastic.

I remember when I first saw the VMB5's I posted them in the domestic hotness thread on a GT500, so damn sexy. I hear ya though, they are already getting played out. The VMB7's are really sharp too though!

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Those look pretty sharp. I will definitely check that place out as well.

The big decision I need to make now is to get a 20" wheel or a 19". I was stuck on 19's for the longest time, but some of these 20" look really good. Do 20's generally hurt performance or is it just the weight of the wheel that becomes the issue? I also need to make sure I can get a tall enough tire on there as I don't want a super low profile tire.

bnr32

Regular
TCG Premium
Nov 6, 2013
Those look pretty sharp. I will definitely check that place out as well.

The big decision I need to make now is to get a 20" wheel or a 19". I was stuck on 19's for the longest time, but some of these 20" look really good. Do 20's generally hurt performance or is it just the weight of the wheel that becomes the issue? I also need to make sure I can get a tall enough tire on there as I don't want a super low profile tire.

rotating mass is what hurts, yes. size isn't as much as a factor as weight, but sometimes you can't have one without the other.

if you see a wheel you like, let me know. I may be able to get some better deals! ;)

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I will definitely ask around when I finally make my mind up. Since I am not cheaping out, I am most likely going to get the set around May so I can save up a bit more and get some good tires at the same time.

I am leaning toward Velgen or Vossens as they are priced a bit better for me and have a few styles I like. I would love a set of forged wheels, but the price is bonkers for the career I am in. I would rather supercharge my car if I was going to drop 6-7k...which will happen most likely next year if I play my cards right. I am kind of set on 19's because I don't want to run a super low profile tire. I like the look of some meat on the tires with my American muscle cars.

I really like the VMB5's and VMB7's. They aren't the most original, but they do look really sharp on these body styles. Someone just needs to decide for me.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Damn. Those true forged wheels look really nice. They remind me of the CCW wheels, which I have always loved on Mustangs. I wonder how hard it is to keep those wheels clean with that polished lip. The more I look at wheels, the more I see how common the design is like the VMB7's. I wouldn't mind going a different route than that common of a design.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

Finally getting down to a few styles I like. How tough is the brushed/polished combo to keep clean? I was thinking about a bright silver powder coat with a small amount of metallic finish for the spokes and a polished lip. Unsure on how tough it will be to keep the polished lip clean or if I decided to leave the spokes brushed. I think the chicanes are where I am heading. It seems like every wheel company has a vmb7 like design.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
TE37... end thread ;)
Mustang-Ecoboost-TE37-39-copy-1200x800.jpg

Rays, SSR, Volk, Work , Enkei, HRE if you want something different.
Nice thing is you are 114.3x5 like most wheels out there so there is a huge used market where you can get them for a nice deal. I got the wheels on my Z for like 800 bucks after looking for a quite a while.

Not saying everyone will like this but you asked.

Weds
315497_537072266307593_1540699016_n.jpg

SSR
image.axd

more ssr
jon-sibal-personal-2009-challenger-srt8-06.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info