160 Tstats

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
my LS cars always operated with no load above the 180-200 mark, I guess on a cold day the Tstat would open at 160 and give you heat quicker :dunno:

160 stat would give you worse heat than a 180.

The cooling loop has engine coolant circulate between the block and heater core at all times unless there is a HVAC Bypass valve in there. The stat isn't part of that loop.

So if you move to a 160 stat then the coolant flows the radiator earlier, lowering your highway temps by about 20° and your heater core temps will drop by about the same. 180° is best I think for us. Maybe if we were in a really hot environment then a 160° would be good, but for our area I was never happy with the heat I got when using a 160 in the GTA.

Might give slight benefit with drag racing due to the low heat load, but extended WOT like during a HPDE will heat the coolant well past the 160° mark, probably within the first full lap.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
it would be really nice if the actual coolant flow thermostat or actually variable though I know there are systems that control electric water pumps.
You have to do it on the heat rejection side using different fan settings but remember at all times that your engines internal clearances are set for an engine at operating temperature running the engine cold when it's not needed is worse for wear and tear.
You do it so that for the few instances you're under full load and power that you won't spike in temperatures and hurt something.
Its a compromise. For me I do 180

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I will say there's a lot of speculation with it but I think a lot of it has to do with the mechanics of wet fuel systems (carbed cars depend on intake heat to atomize fuel, and I would think at an extent even "dry" intaked vehicles would too) as well as the ECUs (supposedly some older ECUs wouldn't go into closed loop with a 160.)

Lastly, the idea of running one is you can run more timing without preignition; without changing the timing curve I wouldn't even change it probably. I would also consider that there's limits to how much timing makes more power even without going into preignition. If you had a cam that made the engine more temperamental, extra compression or forced induction etc. it may be a worthwhile consideration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info