D Plates

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
So the dealer told me i couldnt use my P plates off the ram that i just renews in December and ordered me D plates for the 05 2500 Duramax the gvwr is 9200 I get that under the rules anything that weighs in at 8001 lbs needs d plates but I see 1/2 and even 3/4 tons running around on p plates.

Anyone know a workaround ? I have heard firefighter plates are one way.. ?

I will not be getting inspections and don't like that the d plates are almost double p plates.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
The fucker don't weigh that.

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

It's under 8001 empty. But I guess they changed the law to make it loaded

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
At my old job I drove a F450 with D plates sometimes. Didn't know there were all those rules until I got pulled over and ticketed for driving in the left lane on 290. Got a ticket for driving in the left lane and was held on the side of the road for over an hour for an inspection. Got 11 warnings as well. This was all while I was on my way to do a job for the state police lol
So yeah there are a lot of cops that will pull you over just for having the D plate even though you are not hauling a trailer and exceeding the weight limit for that road.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
The law states you plate for unloaded weight. if your rig weighs under 8000lbs as it sits you can plate it B. now once you load payload and your over 8000lbs you are technically "overweight" good lucking finding a cop to write for anything that isn't 2000lbs over. If the dealership wants to give you D plates, tell them to f off or pay for your safety inspection every 6 months that you do not need

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
If you got D plates, and don't get inspections, you're just asking for tickets...maintaining my work fleet we got a couple non-compliance tickets while driving around because the inspection expired and we hadn't gone to get the inspection yet.

If you run B-plates, you're just asking for the cop to be a dick and ticket you for not having the proper plates.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I have D's on my F350. Jeremy, you're not going to want to get D plates and not get inspections, like said, you're asking for trouble. If your truck is a 2500, I wouldn't think twice about getting B plates or environmentals (FF's, etc). My truck with ANY trailer behind it exceeds the weight limit, so, I really don't have a choice with the amount that I tow.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
The truck weighs s ok me thing like 5760# I doubt I will ever have a payload putting me over 8k. As I read it it excludes trailers.. I woneed how much of a pita changing the plates will be

it does exclude trailers. your trailer plate should be for the approriate weight you're towing. the D truck plate is strictly for the truck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info