Optimum Gloss Coat Paint Protection Performance Testing

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a little product review of a paint coating that I have applied to my Raptor about 6 months ago. Being a professional detailer I like to test different products on my own vehicles before I apply them to a clients car, and to help be knowledgeable about the products I offer. With that being said I made a little video yesterday testing the performance of a polymer based paint protective coating (Optimum Gloss Coat). For reference the truck has sat outside for the past 5 months since it's been applied.

If you don't already know, your standard paint coating has a life span of 2 years and protects against industrial fallout, acid rain, bird droppings, UV rays, and light swirls and scratches. Gloss Coat is very slick and has good hydrophobic properties which aides in the ease of washing the vehicle and helps safely remove dirt and other contaminants.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xh7gUtMkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xh7gUtMkM

I fixed the embed for you. :bigthumb:

Dude thanks. Idk what I am doing wrong? I tried 3 different ways and couldn't get it to work...

That stuff looks really good! What is the price point and how is the application? I have been using Collinite 845 for years but I am finally out.

I always buy the 20cc (large version) so I know that I have enough product. It's about $100 and it takes about an hour to do an entire vehicle. It flashes in about a minuet and then it's ready to be wiped off.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Looks good! I use Collinite 845 or Klasse AIO depending my mood. How would you compare Gloss Coat to these products? Also do you think it would be a better option for a car that is detailed once a year and pretty much neglected for the rest of the year and driven 35,000 miles a year?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
[MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION]
i think a "coating" would be ideal for your application.
a daily driver that sits outside is the perfect candidate.

I can't wait to apply the Wolfgang Uber Coating to my 98.

the WHSE mgr @ work has an 09 Challenger and a 13 Charger... he wants to buy the stuff and have me detail / apply the coating :fy:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
[MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION]
if you're looking for a quick bottle of 845, I have one for a cheap o price

and [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION]
a product like 845 may last 3-6 months depending on if the vehicle is garaged and driven on sundays vs being exposed to the elements.

AIO really isnt a "last step" product.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
[MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION]
if you're looking for a quick bottle of 845, I have one for a cheap o price

and [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION]
a product like 845 may last 3-6 months depending on if the vehicle is garaged and driven on sundays vs being exposed to the elements.

AIO really isnt a "last step" product.

Thanks, I'll let you know.

Looks good! I use Collinite 845 or Klasse AIO depending my mood. How would you compare Gloss Coat to these products? Also do you think it would be a better option for a car that is detailed once a year and pretty much neglected for the rest of the year and driven 35,000 miles a year?

I've never tried those products. I've always used Zaino waxes. However coatings like this product out perform a wax in categories such as overall swirl and scratch protection, longevity, and protection from the elements and other road/grime contamination. I would say that this coating is ideal for the application you are looking for. As I mentioned in my post, my truck sits outside the majority of the time except for this winter and it has held up great so far.

It also increases the overall shine/gloss of your vehicles paint immensely. Hence the name "Optimum Gloss Coat" lol

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I am have to do some research on this coating as it has sparked my interested now. On my personal vehicles that if a wax last for 3 months then I have most likely reapplied by then. The car that get neglected is my moms Fusion that she never washes and yea, its gross.

Bird1989

Regular
Dec 24, 2015
Hows the hydrophobic quality on the bottom half of the doors and the bedsides? I personally use gtechniq products on an almost daily basis where i work and have used the opticoat products only a few times and havent been able to compare the two products in durability and longevity. Also does opticoat not recommend coating the hood graphic?

Hows the hydrophobic quality on the bottom half of the doors and the bedsides? I personally use gtechniq products on an almost daily basis where i work and have used the opticoat products only a few times and havent been able to compare the two products in durability and longevity. Also does opticoat not recommend coating the hood graphic?

The bottom of the doors and bed sides are about the same as every where else. It's a little more "worn down" but still beads the water up. You can coat everything with this coating, however some trims might not be to accepting of it. I did a small spot of the graphic and noticed it got darker. I didn't want to do the whole thing and then have some spots be darker than others.

I noticed that too... lack of "sheeting" when using the pressured air.

Yeah it kinda just rolls off. If I hit it with a gentle stream of water straight from the hose with no attachment I could dry it off by rinsing it lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info