..when Ebay seller protection works! ..a happy ending!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
WARNING: This gets a little long so close this up now if you don't like reading and move along!

So I have a fun story of buyers remorse and an attempt to mess with me.

I sold a driver side NA miata power window motor and regulator combo for buy it now. So this lady in Hawai'i (island of Kauai) does a buy-it-now and pays immediately. At the time I happened to be home and had it packaged up ready to ship so within 30 minutes I had it in the post office hands on the way to the buyer (I pride myself with quick shipping although I must admit normally it takes a few hours or a day for me to ship but this was lucky timing)

Anyway, I get home and receive this message to 'cancel the order' because she doesn't want it. I immediately responded (though ebay messaging service where she contacted me so it was all documented) stating how it is already in the post office hands (she got the tracking # before sending me the cancel order request btw) and at the same time I pointed out my 'sale is final' with no returns policy. She sends me email at this point telling me what a horrible seller I am and how I have the worst customer service. At this point I contact Ebay to document what transpired and was told to not respond in email but only through ebay messaging so I ignored her nasty email (there was no reason to respond anyway at this point)

Fast forward to 5 days after she received it via Priority Mail. She claims her mechanic says it is broken and she is furious and returning it since its garbage and demands 100% refund.

I get it back with a broken tab because of her piss poor repacking job but proceed to re-test and guess what, it works exactly as expected! It wasn't broken! I take video to prove it works and shared it via the ebay claim she opened about a week after I got it back.

As it turns out, she didn't follow proper ebay policy on the return (she returned it before opening an ebay claim and didn't get proper authorization to do this).

Ultimately I got the claim in my favor and the $10 paypal chargeback fee was reversed because she initially tried to open a claim with just paypal and not ebay (thanks to paypal not being owned by ebay, this was something she was actually able to do whereas in the past, paypal wouldn't allow a claim directly on ebay sales)

Interestingly enough, she never bothered to send me shipping fees again to send it back to her (I actually waited 3 months to get shipping costs to send it back to her again). So I contacted ebay again and they told me at this point I could do as I pleased since she clearly didn't want it so I repaired the broken tab so it would be 100% functional again, took photos of the repair and clearly disclosed the broken tab guide and how it was functional again with the repair and relisted it for a lower amount and sold it to a guy in Colorado who left me positive feedback.

I was worried at 1st that I'd get back her broken one or that she figured out how destroy mine and claim it was broken but in the end I highly doubt any mechanic was ever involved and this was just a case of buyers remorse in the Nth degree and it ultimately worked in my favor!

Also, my false negative feedback from her was removed as well so I still have 100% positive seller feedback!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Bottom line is Ebay reaches a bigger audience than CL or FB (lots of people still aren't on FB keep in mind)

I average 1 bad seed buyer every 6 months so its just part of doing business. One of things I learned is doing signature required on deliveries to apartments or anything sold that is over $100 (this way some of the idiots can't try to cry that they never got it when I have a signature they received it)

OR I get in writing from the buyer that they don't want signature deliver and accept all responsibility for shipment left at their doorstep (has worked for me anyway)

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Glad everything worked ur way.

I've personally just gave up on selling stuff on ebay. Because events like this normally go bad for the seller. Maybe ebay/PayPal is stepping up and cleaning up their bad practices.

Lazy to look up but what was the cost of the window motor/reg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info