Summer performance tire suggestions

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Looking at 18" tires for the Cruze. Trying to find something that will last a couple summers for DD use and some track days and auto crosses. Also something budget friendly. I don't need anything crazy like Rcomps.

Size wise either a 245/40 or a 225/45 would work. I have a set of 8 inch wide wheels picked out as well

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR8RE760&tab=Sizes

I have these in 225/50/16 on ssr type c's. Had them on my Maxima that I autoxed a bit and now on the Mazda3. Fairly quiet, great grip for their price/treadwear. These replaced the bridgestone RE050A I had on the maxima previously. Planning on some hpde in the 3 with them.

After these you are going down to 200 treadwear Rivals, Hankook RS3, Dunlop Direzza etc.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If you want a summer tire for DD use and occasional HPDE, and want to get some mileage out of it Michelin PSS. Really does stick hard, and good lifespan.

After that, I agree with Intel, you are looking at the "Almost R-comp" tires. They grip like hell, and perform on track great, but you REALLY don't want to be caught in the rain with them, and if you are lucky 20-25k miles at best on them.

If the PSS is too much, the Bridgestones he linked are probably good too, never rode in a car with those.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
did you get a tune on it yet? I curse this car every time I try to pass someone with it lol, I tried to pass a car from 50 mph a week ago down shift to third pull out in traffic yeah no that's going to take too long, try again from second a few minutes later had a good 1/4 mile gap to the next on coming car and hardly made it, I need this thing to at least have as much mid range as my excursion, what's my options I know you have been researching this lol

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I suggest toyo t1r . Great price , very cool tread pattern , grip nicely , i got a decent amount of life out of them even with a lowered car . They got cambered wear only because of how my car sits.

I'm currently riding on Yokohama S Drives and I like them too .

Both are directional tires .

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
I have the Michelin PSS tires on one of my cars. Only a little over 1,000 miles on them this summer, but by far a very sticky great handling tire. This is my first set and I'm hooked so far. Only other tires I've had on this list are the Continental DW's...also good but a notch below the Michelin's IMO.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
if i bought new tires today i'd get dunlop direzza zII star specs

also consider that 17s will be cheaper wheels/tires + lighter

If you wanted the ultimate summer street tire and didn't care about mileage the star specs would get a huge vote. But for a car that does DD duties? Need a more streetable longer wearing tire.

I can't see a set of Star Specs getting much more than 10-15k miles max before needing replacement.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Hankook ventus v12 evo

I got nearly 4 seasons out of them and they're sticky for the price.

I've had the Evo 2's on my GTI for 2 seasons now and they're doing great. 320 tread wear I believe. Even with the GTI's factory rear camber that cups tires I haven't noticed any yet.
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] had the original Evo's on his supra and liked them I think. They were laughable with 700hp even from a roll but I don't think the Cruze is going to put down those numbers.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
If you wanted the ultimate summer street tire and didn't care about mileage the star specs would get a huge vote. But for a car that does DD duties? Need a more streetable longer wearing tire.

I can't see a set of Star Specs getting much more than 10-15k miles max before needing replacement.

depends on what you do on the street and how hard you are on them at the track, lighter car surely helps too... i feel like i get 2 years out of mine, although i've never really kept track either. 10-15k would be 1 year though and i've certainly never burned up any that quickly while doing double duty.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
did you get a tune on it yet? I curse this car every time I try to pass someone with it lol, I tried to pass a car from 50 mph a week ago down shift to third pull out in traffic yeah no that's going to take too long, try again from second a few minutes later had a good 1/4 mile gap to the next on coming car and hardly made it, I need this thing to at least have as much mid range as my excursion, what's my options I know you have been researching this lol

I really want to get an E85 tune with the flex sensor but its 1200 bucks or so. But it's supposedly going to give 40+hp and 50tq. I want wheels first tho

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I've had the Evo 2's on my GTI for 2 seasons now and they're doing great. 320 tread wear I believe. Even with the GTI's factory rear camber that cups tires I haven't noticed any yet.
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] had the original Evo's on his supra and liked them I think. They were laughable with 700hp even from a roll but I don't think the Cruze is going to put down those numbers.

They were awesome up until I went corn and then 1st, 2nd and 3rd was sketchy as fuck :rofl: The new owner has since moved on to toyo r888s.

I loved them tho. Great tire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info