4 corners Winter project?

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Thought I'd start a new thread since I am expanding beyond just new rubber. Mounting Michelin Super Sports in place of Nitto Invos. We're moving onto reducing rotational mass w lighter rotors, plus upgrading rear trailing arm mounts and tie rod brackets.

Had discussions on possibly massaging the cylinder heads some more, but our concensus was that motor feels pretty strong right now. Bang for the buck not as strong as maybe looking in other areas. With updating my Invos to
Mich SS, I started looking into the whole rotational mass thing. Seems that this is an area that would yield better results in terms of ROI. The Michelins will add a total of 10lbs over current tires. Also, the Z06 brakes are large w front rotors weighing in at 28lbs. ea./rears 20lbs. ea.
Been researching the alternative rotors and have found two that look up to the task. The preferred rotors by the Z06 crowd is the Coleman 2pc. rotors built by Performance AFX. These rotors weigh 17F/15R. They basically reduce rotating mass by 30lbs overall w 20lbs coming off the front end. Rule of thumb is 1lb ~1hp. On the dyno that should mean about an 8-10hp pickup since the front wheels aren't going anywhere.
However, the mitigating factor is that the new rear tires will be ADDING a total of 6lbs. The rear weight loss will net out at 4lbs. The net weight loss on the front after new tires will be 16lbs for an overall net weight reduction of 20lbs.
Pickup of 20hp to the wheels would be huge. Other benefits are quicker steering and shorter braking distances.

Rear Rotors(pic) are made to accommodate the Z06 eBrake.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 150

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Finally warm enough to get into garage. Front rotors are on, and yesterday rear rotors were installed. Also pulled front fascia off to get it stripped and repainted.
Today, I'll be installing Doug Rippie brackets to re-locate the trailing arms in the rear suspension. Supposed to allow rear end to "plant" much better for launch.
Less deflection of suspension. I already have all bushings replaced w poly units.
Finally, I'll be mounting 345 Michelin SS on Z06 wheels in place of 325 Nittos.
285s already on fronts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info