Splined front hubs on a GT350 Hmmmmmmm

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
The Next Shelby GT500 could be AWD

We’ve been seeing rumors for a while that the next GT500 would feature an EcoBoost V6. While we’ve largely discounted those rumors since we’ve seen no evidence, this new parts revelation seems to reinforce such a notion.

The only time in our experience we’ve seen a splined hub on the front end of a rear wheel drive vehicle has been when a manufacturer offers a four wheel drive or all wheel drive option, but only wants to use a single part for both applications. In those instances doing so reduces manufacturing and supply complexities. But why would you do that on a Mustang, unless you have a reason.

Further, we can see no additional performance advantage going to a bolt-on hub of this type would offer over the spindle mounted style hub and bearing that has been used on the Mustang since 1994, and is still in use on the V6, EcoBoost and GT in the S550 chassis.

Since the 2013-’14 GT500 made 662 horsepower at the crank, and with the Dodge Challenger Hellcat rated at 707 horsepower, the new GT500 must have at least 700 horsepower, with the capability of much more. The new EcoBoost 3.5 slated for the GT and Raptor is definitely capable of making that number, and it is much lighter than an equally-appointed V8 engine. The lighter weight of an EcoBoost V6 could also offset the added weight of an AWD system.

Could Ford be going after the Nissan GT-R? Will the next Shelby GT500 be an EcoBoost 3.5L AWD machine? Well, we don’t know for sure, but if splines could talk, they’d say we might be onto something. Either that, or Ford is messing with us.

Only time will tell.

:ford: going GTR hunting with the next GT500? I doubt it but one does have to wonder why splined front hubs are on the front of the GT350.

Someone else with a 15 or newer mustang have splinder hubs on the front of them? Someone check?

:dunno:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Vette has had spliced hubs up front for a while. I see no AWD vette.

Ford said the GT350 uses a lighter spindle and hub than a standard Mustang. As well as having a stronger bearing. Using an already existing spindle, bearing and hub assembly across more than one car would save money.

Probably other reasons as well.

And the hub was in pictures of the development cars months and months ago. Not really new news.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015

No shit cost that's why I was saying why don't ALL use this same hub?

If your saying its a lighter stronger hub that was already being used on something else what did it come off and again if its lighter and stronger why produce a different one for the other mustangs? After all its about cutting costs right? It think your making a lot of assumptions.

x2 on the SHO hubs? Wonder what them look like.

Pretty weird if the GT350 is the only one using this hub while the other mustangs are different.

Man Ford really went through some great lengths to shave .2 ounces from that hollow hub now only if they can make it lighter than the Camaro..... :s00ls:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the newest production costs of modern PM forging has the industry standardizing shit like never before, why have two part numbers, two separate prints, etc when you can have the same part perform the same.
these hubs now have integral ball races, grinding is only done on the race surface and the surface the inner bearing race rides on.

boom part count just dropped on an assembly...but now that assembly can be repeatedly preloaded to the exact bearing preload and then swaged into place, preventing prior issues with techs not properly tightening center axle nuts and providing proper bearing preload.

mnow you take the idiots out of the equation and reduce parts and inventory costs...done deal, beancounters rejoice!

my guess is the engineers on the ford side are really gunning for a step up in the HP wars...they may have worked this into helping convince the viability of an "awd" offering....since as you know...parts bins are readily available to the guys with the sweet jerbs....

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
i get it from a cost cutting stand point but really find it odd that all mustangs dont use it then and still wonder what else this hub is used on.

gm for example offers a few vehciles in rwd and awd so i get it for using same awd hub on even the rwd models why use a different one.

just interesting to me.

i doubt an awd mustang will happen but i wouldnt be against it thats forsure!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am making assumptions? Lmfao! Another great post for you!

If your worried about weight wouldn't a change in unsprung weight be very helpful in more ways then just the curb weight of the car? Steel spindle or aluminum spindle. Doubt it is a 0.2 of an ounce difference.

Let's thinks about this for a minute. The IRS in the Mustang is derived from a Ford Fusion (CD4 Platform, 2013+). Ford Fusions also share a similar front suspension design, as the S550. A Fusion also comes in AWD form. Maybe that could be relevant? You think?

I think there are better odds we see a AWD Lincoln in this chassis than the GT500 being a AWD set up.

BTW, the Ford GT also has splined hubs. Think maybe they designed a sting but light spindle & hub assembly to be used for that car as well? Hmmmm

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
There you go I didn't know the Fusion suspension was shared. Nice you finally provided something to back up the assumption. Cool.

I was being sarcastic about the 0.2 ounces................ :rofl:

Edit speaking about Lincoln isn't that new MKZ with the 3.0 400hp Ecoboost supposed to be AWD too correct?

That is also supposed to share the Fusion/Mustang/? CD4 chassis?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Vette has had spliced hubs up front for a while. I see no AWD vette.

Ford said the GT350 uses a lighter spindle and hub than a standard Mustang. As well as having a stronger bearing. Using an already existing spindle, bearing and hub assembly across more than one car would save money.

Probably other reasons as well.

And the hub was in pictures of the development cars months and months ago. Not really new news.

My assumption is that the spindle and hub is a variation of an existing OEM application. The heat and lateral force generated by the GT350 would eat bearings designed for a Ford passenger sedan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info